Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless Headphone Review & Comments

Almost like the moment 3 and 550ii have mated . I had the m3 and loved them but they where heavy so have 550ii. Now defo think these might be the answer

Thanks for the review.

I have the Sennheiser HD450BT, is it worth upgrading to the Momentum 4??

Thanks for the review.

I suppose it depends on the price you can achieve for the 450BT if you decide to sell them. The Momentum 4 are better all-round headphones, no doubt, but are they £300 better? No chance.

Poor design.

They could have kept same build quality and still be not more expensive than competition I guess.

Will still consider them alongside new B&W pair.

@Simon Lucas would be good to test/comment on mic quality, which is also fairly big consideration for people who buy headphones like this.

The momentum 3 i have is just awesome the bass on those are the best and cleanest ..these are not foldable so i will give it a miss looks like they went down the sony route

Thanks for the review.

I had a set of 450bt before the moment 3 and that was a defo upgrade. Also the moments and 550ii cover your ears rather than sit on them like the 450bt so I found them allot more comfortable. To be fair got a good price on eBay for the 450s but that was a while back

Personally I don’t think any new Bluetooth Headphone costing £349+ should get higher then 6 rating unless it can decode Dolby Atmos. Or do you think people don’t listen to DOLBY ATMOS which is now available on Music streaming services aswell as obviously Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, etc.

Personally I don’t think any new Bluetooth Headphone costing £349+ should get higher then 6 rating unless it can decode Dolby Atmos. Or do you think people don’t listen to DOLBY ATMOS which is now available on Music streaming services aswell as obviously Netflix, Disney+, AppleTV+, etc.
The Momentum 4 cost £299 - is that acceptable?

The Momentum 4 cost £299 - is that acceptable?
Given that it's carrying Sennheiser's name, comes with their (generally) strong reputation in build quality, and the prices of things in general, £299 sounds pretty good.

@Simon Lucas can you confirm if these have aptx HD.

According to Senns website they don't.

Codecs
SBC, AAC, aptX™, aptX adaptive™

Codecs

aptX Adaptive on headphones (not on true wireless earbuds) has aptX HD fallback.

So the answer is yes, if your source device supports aptX HD then the Momentum 4 will connect with aptX HD.

Codecs

aptX Adaptive on headphones (not on true wireless earbuds) has aptX HD fallback.

So the answer is yes, if your source device supports aptX HD then the Momentum 4 will connect with aptX HD.

This piqued my interest. Yes the answer is correct, no new hardware is needed a device that supports aptX HD will support aptX adaptive

Doing my own reading, the manufacturer website says adaptive is a dynamic (or, adaptive) codec that operates at 279 to 420 kbps. aptX HD is fixed at 576 kbps. And LDAC is fixed at one of 330 / 660 / 990 kbps.

On paper not the same but in practice can you hear the difference with real world use and digital signal processing e.g. Apple use AAC for Bluetooth and sell the most wearables of everyone ☺️ Until aptX lossless is here, all of them are technically lossy, whatever Sony marketing say about LDAC

Source:

no new hardware is needed a device that supports aptX HD will support aptX adaptive

Wait, this is not correct though 😁

A source device that supports aptX HD will connect to an audio device with aptX Adaptive in aptX HD mode.
But it won't support "proper" aptX Adaptive features such as the scalable bitrate and improved latency. For that, you'll need both source and receiving device to support aptX Adaptive 🙂

Can any wireless bluetooth headphone decode atmos yet?
I know the lg t90 buds can but not sure how good they are.

Maybe its just too early for atmos in headphones outside of gaming wired headsets

Dolby Atmos has a licensing fee cost for inconsistent benefit for stereo music listening ; you are still faking digital surround sound out of two physical drivers. Music really has to be (re)mixed at the mastering stage. Apple's clout means some, not all, artists are at least mastering for spatial audio, so the spatial effects are more obvious when processed through Apple headphones

For gaming rather than stereo music listening, the new Audeze Maxwell does have Dolby Atmos on the Xbox version, hence more expensive than the PS5 version. Perhaps @Greg Hook will review the Maxwell

Can any wireless bluetooth headphone decode atmos yet?
I know the lg t90 buds can but not sure how good they are.

Maybe its just too early for atmos in headphones outside of gaming wired headsets
Ofcourse. Apple Airpod Max and Air Pod Pro with Apple source device.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom