• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Sennheiser ie8i

BarnDoor

So on a whim I ordered a pair of Sennheiser ie8i on Friday as they were reduced to £99 and i had a black Friday spending itch!
I love my Etymotic er4's but sometimes crave a bit more bass, but it needs to be well controlled.

Reading reviews suggest even though this has been around a while it perhaps is great value at the price. Having the adjustable bass port gives the ability to control it a bit and failing that the tape mod is an option (this worked wonders on my sony mdr1a).

Delivery arrived yesterday. Opened up the package to find inside a pair of Sony ex650's. Hmmm. I've been charged for the Senn's, so either wrong item picked or somebody who ordered £40 sonys has £99 Senns.

When I ordered it was the last pair in stock, so if the latter happened then the supplier might not be able to send out another pair.

So, my questions.
Are the Senns good value at that price or have they been surpassed (for £99) in the last few years?

If they don't have anymore ie8's then any suggestions? The supplier has ie80s but are they worth significantly more?

Is it worth trying the Sony's, which the supplier might not be happy about or are the Senn's in a different league.

Don't really have much experience with iems as have been so happy with etys.

Btw also ordered the massdrop Fostex's, which seemed to good to miss, so feeling that if the Senn's are not a bargain then perhaps to leave new iems for another time.

Steven

Senior Moderator
The iem sector is the most competitive segment of the headphone market imo as every year new Asian startups join the game. I am aware of dunu and fidue models discussed online but honestly i would not sweat it as otherwise you never stop buying

Good to hear another UK - er has taken a chance on the TH-X00

BarnDoor

Thanks Steven. Will give the Senn's a go and see what I think. Hopefully have a pair mid-week.

Fingers crossed that the th-x00 arrive before xmas. I have some time off to enjoy them.

BarnDoor

Have ended up canceling my order for the Senn's, as not going to be any stock available until late January.

Yodel system says my Fostex are due on or before tomorrow, but they don't have them yet, so probably unlikely.
Anybody know how making customs payments is dealt with by Yodel? Don't want to add delays.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Based on my past headphone imports the government may seek around £60 to £80. This is purely a guess and not to be relied upon. BUT I think DHL (Yodel as UK agent) may add a service charge on top for paying HMRC up front on the behalf of the recipient. I would have preferred normal USPS to Royal Mail for this reason but then again the $15 international shipping was reasonable. I have paid more importing CDs from Japan / S Korea!

BarnDoor

Thanks Steven, are yours also in customs? Yeap expecting 22% customs on the $415 plus a handling charge £8?.
Was expecting this when ordered so not a shock. Was hoping i could pay customs online or something to speed up delivery.
Looking forward to trying these as have been generally favourably received.

BarnDoor

Dhl advised to call ccl. Gave them a call £65.43 paid and goods released. yodel should be collecting today. Hopefully get them Tuesday or Wednesday:)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom