Sennheiser IE800S In-Ear Earphone Review

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,902
    2. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      Nice review :thumbsup:

I had a pair of these my first audiophile iem's they were great very impressive for the detail you can hardly believe the sound these produce for such small IEMs.
      It’s like your brain is deceiving you.

Never tried in balanced mode never less sound great with mojo.

I replaced these for AKG N5005 which I think are better in every way, but not by miles. The AKG have more detail better treble and mids and excellent sound stage when paired with the right balanced amp Fiio F5. But they are extremely difficult to drive so require an amp.

The Sennheiser though better with amp can also be used without. But one of the reason I got rid of these was because I couldn’t live with the microphonics when I was on the move.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    3. Comfypants35

Comfypants35

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      Just can't get my head round how something so small costs so much with a tiny wire and profile.

Seems high end rip off to me, but each to their own

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +282
      I once had a colleague express disbelief when asking about the SE846s I was wearing in the office. He was wearing a £50k watch at the time. Go figure.

5. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,634
      I'm working in the wrong office.

6. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      Understatement of the year in the Cons :

Fairly expensive

I'd describe them using another word begining with "F" ...

Flipping Expensive!
      :D

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,902
      It's all relative. In the last year I've tested two pairs of earphones at over £2k. Their all up expense also has to take into account that they are much more demanding than the IE800S.

8. dbeevers

dbeevers

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +133
      At that price you're in custom IEM world which is what I went with.

9. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,673
      I have the IE800's and for fleeting moments, they are truly stunning.

But compared to the competition at this price, the (fixed, non replaceable) cable was terrible, the fit was 99/100 terrible and then they sounded terrible. The tip selection tip was terrible, the custom fitting of those tips was terrible, the case they came with was terrible.

Again given what else you could get from other companies, Sennheiser were taking the £$%

While I love the size, the feel and when they work, work like nothing else I've heard, they were too much money then at £600? (I paid £500). Now, they are a frick'n joke at nearly £900 with all the same faults as their predecessors. I really thought Senn would have listened to the criticism from all the right places. It looks like they haven't, so can well and truly $h!* off.

I'll stick to my Massdrop Plus where I can change any part of them easily, fit like a dream and sound 98% as good for £300.

10. beechy06

beechy06

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +275
      Nice review Ed, lovely headphones but above the price bracket i’m currently looking at.

What is the review you’re (I presume) still working on that you said would be worthwhile for us Apple users on last weeks podcast? My old trusty Sennheiser’s have given up the ghost & having recently upgraded my phone (and thus no 3.5mm socket :() i’m looking for a replacement to these terrible Apple freebie ones

11. McCol

McCol

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +308
      Nice review and on the whole pretty much spot on.
      However there are other options around the same price that arguably provide better value for money both in terms of sound quality and functionality.

I owned the IE800s for a few months but sold them on after hearing other options that were for me overall better bang for buck.

AKG N5005 offer changeable filters and Bluetooth for £100 and for sounded better.

RHA CL2 is my current weapon of choice and is quite simply a stunning Planar earphone which also includes a Bluetooth module.

To be honest though at this price point there are probably no bad choices, it comes down to personal preference and what fits best for the person.

12. steve iow

steve iow

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      How much,wow you’ve got to be kidding,even if I could afford these,i couldn’t justify paying this amount,would like to hear them though, if anyone wants to send me a free pair I will give them a try

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    13. LAMitchell

LAMitchell

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +27
      You know, how do you put a price on things. You can pop down to H Samuel and buy a £275 diamond ring or you can spend £40k for a commissioned ring from Gee Woods. Its a matter of what you are looking for. These are not diamond encrusted, they are not even platinum, but if you were to listen to them you'd not be surprised at the price. We put a price on things when we have no idea what's involved, its a habit.

Ed, thanks for the review and thanks for having the balls to review some high end earbuds.

14. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +760

high end rip off?? are you kidding me??

I cannot believe people here are stating such ludicrous statements about prices of iems without hearing them?

What because they are small?

my iems sound better than most peoples 2 channel stereo set ups as i normally see them in echo chambers for rooms.

the amount of technology in multi driver iems is unreal and imo worth every penny if what your looking for is good accurate sound not affected by room acoustics.

15. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      The concept of audiophile headphones using anything else other than a wired connection puzzles me. Bluetooth audio is a lossy compressed format, you cannot send 192k PCM or DSD over bluetooth. It also requires that the DAC be placed inside the headphones.
      To me saying Bluetooth is the future of audiophile audio connections is like saying MP3 is the future of audiophile music formats.
      I use USB Audio Pro on my LG G7 phone with its wonderful ESS quad DAC to drive my IE800 and I have honesty never heard anything else that comes close to the quality of its sound reproduction.
      I bought my IE800 for £450 and regard them as an absolute bargain.
      N.B. that is IE800 not IE800S

16. joselopez

joselopez
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      My experience with Senntheiser is not good . Years ago I bought a wireless in ear fancy earphone for 190 or 209€ more or less . Average to good sound . After one year they ceased charging and did show swelling , I supose was a battery problem . After contacting them for service repair they told me it would de more expensive the repair than the price of a new one , and so I was left with no solution , so watch out for a very poor service