Sennheiser IE6 silicon tips

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MarkDym, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MarkDym

MarkDym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

I recently bought a pair of Sennhieser IE6 earphones. I have a small problem with the size of the silicon earbud attachments.

The mediums are too small (not a good fit, so no bass). The large are slightly too large - great sound, plenty of bass but after a short time they become uncomfortable.

I've contacted the UK distributor for Sennheiser about alternative/compatible replacements of a different size but have had no response.

Can anyone recommend replacement silicon tips that will preserve the sound quality and which are between medium-large size?

I've had a look around the net, but I really don't know what will work. I also have a pair of Sony MDX*** (or something) which are extremely comfortable, but the silicon tips do not fit the IE6 very well, so there is no bass.

I have seen that you can get foam ear pieces - again, some people say they are rubbish as they eventually squeeze out while others say they are great. Not being familiar with this I have no idea what may work.

I use the earphones for several hours each day, so if anyone can recommend a set of compatible replacements I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Mark

2. MarkDym

MarkDym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump

Does anyone know of a reputable brand that supply replacement tips for the sennheiser IE range, please? If anyone does then I can contact them and see if they can help.

Thanks

Mark

3. LightFantastic6

LightFantastic6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know it's an oldish thread, but I just came across it whilst searching for IE6 phones as I'm about to buy a pair - just wanted to see what folks on here were saying about them.

I've not used them, but the Comply T-400 foam tips seem to get a decent write-up when used with the IE6 (and probably other phones too).

4. Member 266567

Member 266567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  5. LightFantastic6

LightFantastic6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That was the exact review that I came across the recommendation of them. :)

6. Member 266567

Member 266567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Nate's reviews are normally on the button. He's really into his music and getting the best out of audio equipment. I good combination for someone reviewing headphones! :)

7. MarkDym

MarkDym
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, guys - first, that's good info.

Second, these headphones are superb. I use them with an iPod Touch every day. I have the equaliser turned off and yet the richness of the sound is unbeatable.

Listening to music such as Stars of the Lid brings out every nuance of their orchestral ultra ambient laid back sound. Similarly, listening to deep bass heavy trance, or stuff like Pete Namlook's Fires of Ork (which has a massive amount of bass) is sheer bliss. The bass punches through without pain or distortion. Voices come across very well too - Tibetan monks chanting, female chanting are all full-bodied and crystal clear.

I listen to a wide variety of music and have not been disappointed with these headphones thus far.

There is just one drawback - the case is the most useless case I've ever come across. It is way too large, and packing the headphones in the case is not a simple affair. I suspect the case is a 'designer' fad. I stopped using it after about a month.

8. LightFantastic6

LightFantastic6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm about to order a pair of these as the reviews I've read have all been superb. I did wonder about the case and that was about the only gripe I've read - the sheer size of it and faffing with it. I may just get one of those headphone winder things that come with phones such as the Sennheiser CX range - if they're available separately.

Best price I've seen for the IE6 is basically £90 + £4 from an Amazon retailer - Amazon don't seem to sell them themselves. Has anyone seen them for a better price than this? I was favouring buying from Amazon as I have a bunch of GCs to use (about £60) so thought I may as well use them for this, but if somewhere is selling them for a much better price then I'd be tempted to leave the Amazon option.