Sennheiser IE 900 In-Ear Earphone Review & Comments

How is the midrange vocal performance, any perceptible recession for lower or higher mid. Looking at graphs there is a gentle downwards slope starting at 300hz before rising again at 1k

How is the midrange vocal performance, any perceptible recession for lower or higher mid. Looking at graphs there is a gentle downwards slope starting at 300hz before rising again at 1k

Running through the A&K with it sent to absolutely flat, I didn't pick up anything of that nature at all.

Finally you got the review up, thank you, It was a great read and worth teg wait. I’m confident that I won’t regret my pre order of these now. Interestingly, as an owner of both the IE800 and 800S, one of my biggest issues with them is the fit. I have a set of shure 535 and kse1200 and I much prefer their in ear monitor style fit, which is one of the main reasons I instantly pre ordered the IE900. I hoped they would have that sennheiser sound that I adore, with the fit and comfort of the shures.
I’ll find out soon enough though, they have been dispatched and I expect them early next week. Based on your review, I’m pretty sure these will become my daily drivers, the one iem to rule them all in my little collection.
Ps : thanks for the mention in wednesdays podcast :)

Thanks for the review, I always find your style of prose very entertaining. You always convince me to get my IEMs out and listen to them properly for once!

Do they still have the same connection/attachment system for the eartips? ie the same utter s***e one as my IE800?

Do they still have the same connection/attachment system for the eartips? ie the same utter s***e one as my IE800?

No, it’s narrower and deeper.

Thanks Ed - I was intrigued to read this review as I purchased a set of IE 300s based on your recent review. I managed to get them during a price drop at Amazon ( £216 ) and I certainly would not pay anymore for in ear earphones. A key element for me is getting a good fit as the slightest adjustment can make all the difference. I also intend to purchase a Dragonfly Red to fulfill their potential. Your use of a Chord Mojo was understandable and I'm looking for something less bulky for a pocket and outdoor use.

Last edited:
Great review Ed. I’ll be picking up these on the strength of it.

So I had a listen to these and they are very over rated. Probably because of the sennheiser's leverage with the reviewers.

I had my empire ears legend x on me for reference, the ie900 just don't come near for detail. Obviously the legend x distroy them in bass region as well.

I've also (recently) heard the empire ears odin, audio 64 (nio, u12t, trio, Forte) and some others. These were all better then the ie900.

The ie900 are more comparable to shure se 846, only you can tune the sound to your liking on the shure's.

Also anyone wanting a dragonfly your way better of with a thx onyx instead.

So I had a listen to these and they are very over rated. Probably because of the sennheiser's leverage with the reviewers.
Do you realise how little Sennheiser stuff Ed reviews? I VERY rarely see a Senn ad on here (I cannot recall seeing one even and I don't think AVForums pick and choose what gets advertised) so I don't think he is that important to them to be coerced into saying nice things about them. Sorry Ed

Does Empire have any leverage on you?

On my IE800's I have almost never got the perfect seal. On the odd occasion I have, they sounded very, very good. Not saying you didn't get a good seal, but it made all the difference for me.

I'm sorry you felt I was attacking your dad but it wasn't specific to Ed, that's why I wrote "reviewers". I read/watched a bunch of reviews and went out to put my order in. But on listening I was very disappointed at the price point/value considering what else is out there. Cough Sony Z1R cough etc

Im looking at the asus rog pohne 5 becuase it has a dac amp built in and would mean I don't have to carry a seperate brick in my pocket. But the legend x are little harder to drive then your average iem. So for desktop at home they are fine but out and about I need a dac amp to go with them.

Looking at the ie900 sensitive and reading reviews I thought job done. But wasn't happy and then also realised sennheiser measures sensitivity different to everyone else so it looks better on paper.

Was only giving my experience to the community.

All I can say is have a listen before you put your order in. For similar price you can get an audio 64 nio that can be tuned.

Last edited:
empire ears legend x

With the caveat of not having heard the IE900, yet, EE X and IE900 are not aiming for the same sound signature objective!

The other model name dropped are a more relevant comparison to what Sennheiser are seeking to achieve with the IE900 and that is helpful 😎

I'm sorry you felt I was attacking your dad but it wasn't specific to Ed, that's why I wrote "reviewers". I read/watched a bunch of reviews and went out to put my order in. But on listening I was very disappointed at the price point/value considering what else is out there. Cough Sony Z1R cough etc

Im looking at the asus rog pohne 5 becuase it has a dac amp built in and would mean I don't have to carry a seperate brick in my pocket. But the legend x are little harder to drive then your average iem. So for desktop at home they are fine but out and about I need a dac amp to go with them.

Looking at the ie900 sensitive and reading reviews I thought job done. But wasn't happy and then also realised sennheiser measures sensitivity different to everyone else so it looks better on paper.

Was only giving my experience to the community.

All I can say is have a listen before you put your order in. For similar price you can get an audio 64 nio that can be tuned.
Your opening line, suggests otherwise. Its reads exactly how I interpreted it. If that wasn't your intention, then just say "I don't get the love for these" rather than suggesting on a review of the earphone in question that "reviewers" must be leveraged but "not being specific to the [reviewer]"

I admit I might have gone overboard and got offended on behallf of someone else, but the site went down and I couldn't edit my comment.

You are correct however about trying before buying, despite that being extremely difficult to do. There isn't a shop within 100+ miles of me that would have these to try. I wish that wasn't the case as I would have saved some money and not bothered buying the IE800

You interpreted it as " Ed must be be leveraged". But I actually wrote "reviewers" and "probably". So no it doesn't read how you interpreted it.

You interpreted it as " Ed must be be leveraged". But I actually wrote "reviewers" and "probably". So no it doesn't read how you interpreted it.
Ed is a reviewer and liked these. Your intention of the word "probably" is as loaded as it comes in the context of what you wrote.

How else do I interpret that?

But whatever. I am not arguing this point anymore.

Ed is a reviewer and liked these. Your intention of the word "probably" is as loaded as it comes in the context of what you wrote.

How else do I interpret that?

But whatever. I am not arguing this point anymore.

Interpret what people write not what you assume, else your just arguing with yourself.

Great, now someone with delusions of grandeur who thinks they speak for everyone. My apologies to the community for having an apposing opinion.

Great, now someone with delusions of grandeur who thinks they speak for everyone. My apologies to the community for having an apposing opinion.
Ha ha ha brilliant! Why don't you man up try apologising for insinuating that the only reason the headphones have been reviewed favourably is down to the reviewer being influenced instead, you'll look far better for that than your feeble attempts to be the winner on the internet.

Great assumption.. You want to read my palm next?

This is my opinion and how I feel on the matter. Prove me wrong else sit down. If you for one moment think brands don't influence "reviewers" through sending them exclusives and other benefits your mistaken.

This is my opinion and how I feel on the matter. Prove me wrong else sit down. If you for one moment think brands don't influence "reviewers" through sending them exclusives and other benefits your mistaken.
Ha ha ha, brilliant again! I don't have to prove you wrong at all, that is not how this works is it! You made the the insinuation therefore it is you that has prove that to be correct in this instance, not the other way around. If you can't do that then I suggest that you 'sit down'. Feeble.

"feeble" who are you, the hulk?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom