• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sennheiser HD 800 advice & can you try b4 u buy?

spiderman999

Standard Member
Hi,

My Father in Law is interested in the Sennheiser HD 800. But would be interested in your thoughts and advice please? I know he is hard of hearing, but he is convinced that these are the headphones for him. Are their stores in the South Wales or South West England that allow you to listen before you buy?

Thanks

Peridot

Prominent Member
I'm not aware of any stores in the area that are likely to have top notch headphones in stock. There's a Bristol Hi-Fi show around February time that might be a good option if he can wait that long.

They are very well regarded and I'm keen to hear them myself. With a hearing impairment, he may not be getting the benefit of their capability, but I suppose that's a personal choice. The only other consideration might be whether he wants to listen in the company of others, in which case a closed back type of headphone would be more suitable.

D

Deleted member 79803

Looks like there are a few HD800 stockists either in Wales or just over the border. If you stick in your postcode / town here you should get a list: Sennheiser - Headphones & Headsets - Microphones - Integrated Systems

Probably better phoning ahead of paying a visit to make sure the store(s) have a pair available to demo.

Whilst a show floor isn't the ideal environment to audition headphones the Bristol show would be a good opportunity to at least introduce your father-in-law to a number of headphones that might not otherwise be available locally.

I believe that Sennheiser have recently launched the HD800s, so that's another one he might be interested in (I have no experience of either that or the HD800). It's fairly new though so not sure if many places are likely to stock it at present.

Last edited by a moderator:

eastsoutheast

Prominent Member
I think the 800s comes out next Feb. Hiendheaphones in Bedfordshire have a fantastic range of headphones and amps you can demo. I must admit I don't get on with in ears but I would expect these to be possibly better suited for someone with hearing difficulty. I am in no way trying to put you off the HD800 as these will be my next upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom