1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

?? Sennheiser Electrostatics?? Remember?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Nic Rhodes, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Brain dead this morning.

I remember the Sennheiser Orpheus but I am looking for info on another potential Sennheiser electrostic headphone. It had that oval shape like the 580 / 600 / 650 series I think and it was driven from speaker outlets and was MUCH cheap (but still expensive). Does any remember it, have info on it, or at the very least remember what the number of it was?

Also interested in any experience / makes on / of electrostatic phones outside Stax

Thanks

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,359
    Many years ago (over 25) I had a pair of Koss electrostatic headphones ESP9's, at the time I think they may have been the only electrostatic ones available overhere(UK).

They were a great step up in sound quality from any of the regular headphones available at that time.I can't remember exactly how much they cost but I am sure they were over £100 which at that time was a lot of money.

3. Struan

Struan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thats them :smashin:

Love Stax, thats the problem, fancy a couple of pairs of electrostatics and was wondering about Stax portables and one other (just for variety). Would love some Omega 2s but am not wealthy enough :( My knowledge on Stax is MUCH better than the other Electrostatics, so want to know a bit more about the others first. I think there might be some good ones out there.

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The HE60 would be 'the other Senn electrostatic'. Prices seem to be around $1300 all in when they crop up on the market, which is more reasonable than an Omega II. Some say it's better than the O2, but those doing the saying usually own the HE60's ;)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    what about the other electostics? I am finding this very difficult in getting independent views on this kit. It is the usual, I own it so it is the best syndrome.

7. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    Have a look here starts at 21:00

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63

Unfortunately my electrostatic experience ends with the Omega II, the HE90 and 60. If you're interested, there's some new HE90's available at $5K a pop. I bought one with an option on another. My O2's can go at last :D

9. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sennheiser Orpheus was a triumph of design over spec. I listended to several at the time of release of the orpheus, and couldn't believe how bad they sounded; my Lambda Pros of the time sounded considerably more open, and cost considerably less. If you went to some of the higher end Stax models (that still cost less than the Orpheus) at the time, they were leagues ahead of Sennheiser. Shame, as the design waas beautiful.

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think the design sucks actually. They could well end up being the most ghetto looking phones in my posession. The HE90's are comfy though, and I beg to differ on the Lambda Pro vs Orpheus comparison.

11. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going off listening to headphones back when the orpheus was released, but they really didn't sound very good at all - very closed, not particularly detailed in any way. Didn't really give the sound you would expect from electrostatics.

Got a friend that currently works in the audio/video review business who would back me up as well ...(I hate him for getting that gig!)

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    IMO there's only 2 manufacturers of extremely good sound quality headphones. Stax and Grado. The Sennheiser electrostatics HEV70 had a bad tendency to distort pass any decent volume level and didn't really come close for openness and shear incisiveness to these. Good in other respects but leaned towards sweetness and warmth.

For the money the Grado RS-1 phones have to be top of the tree when partnered with a good headphone amp (work very well with a 2 valve amp....can't remember it's name). Easily eating into Stax territory. Yes as good as the 4040 system and knocking on Omega's doors which sound somewhat bass light in comparison.