Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar

You don’t see any U.K. ones for sale on e-bay 🤔
Not exactly a product to swap around on eBay and loose hundreds of pounds . Especially now plus another 10 % for eBay:(

Does anybody else’s Ambeo turn itself on from standby?

Mildly annoying when you hear a bong and another when it turns itself off.

Very annoying when Sky Q booms out in the middle of the night !
So I have this exact same issue - phantom turn on! No discernable pattern when it happens. Since I live in an apartment with many glass windows, I just figured it was a neighbour's super strong remote control that was turning my Ambeo on.

FWIW, connected to a Sony XBR850D on the eARC. Inputs are Tivo, NVidia Shield (previous gen), and Oppo UDP 203. Android app. Google Home.

Also interesting that I have not experienced any phantom turn offs. Leads me to believe it's something with an HDMI "awake" or equivalent, or the Google/Android software doing weird things.

I've had it happen once whilst I was in bed and had to get up and sweitch it off. So now when I switch off for the day I set the volume to zero just in case. It hasn't ahppened since.

I have also found the remote control with apps etc rather inconvenient so I have bought a decent HDMI switch and route everything through a single HDMI slot on my AF9 to the bar. It is so much easier and I see no deterioration.

Here you go, this is what I’m running, good rumble @ volume 25 :)

Hi,

I appreciatred you uploading your settings of your BK connected to the Ambeo.

Belated question. Shouldn't the low bypass filter be set to out/lfe to pass sub control to the Ambeo?

Jeff

Hi,

I appreciatred you uploading your settings of your BK connected to the Ambeo.

Belated question. Shouldn't the low bypass filter be set to out/lfe to pass sub control to the Ambeo?

Jeff
I’m connected to a Cambridge Minx 201 Jeff so can’t answer your question

Hi here are the settings from Gilford and mine!

Attachments

• 398324AE-14E9-43FC-BD31-311537A9D052.jpeg
    398324AE-14E9-43FC-BD31-311537A9D052.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 136
The only problem is that it is the wrong setting for the Ambeo. :)

As there was no reply I asked Tom at BK and he confirmed that it was wrong. He said ....

>> The Ambeo manual says to set the subwoofer to max, with our subwoofers this means the filter in the out position. <<

This means that with this setting set at "out" the Ambeo has control of the sub presumably enhanced and inclusive after calibration with the sub. The calibration incorporates the sub into the overall Ambeo experience. It also means you can control the sub volume using the Ambeo app.

If you decide to change your settings to "out" then it would be worthwhile to do a reclaibration ensuring the sub is on. This small change is extremely worthwhile if you want to sit on your sofa and adjust the sub from the Ambeo app.

Hope this helps .... :)

Jeff

Last edited:
The only problem is that it is the wrong setting for the Ambeo. :)

As there was no reply I asked Tom at BK and he confirmed that it was wrong. He said ....

>> The Ambeo manual says to set the subwoofer to max, with our subwoofers this means the filter in the out position. <<

This means that with this setting set at "out" the Ambeo has control of the sub presumably enhanced and inclusive after calibration with the sub. The calibration incorporates the sub into the overall Ambeo experience. It also means you can control the sub volume using the Ambeo app.

If you decide to change your settings to "out" then it would be worthwhile to do a reclaibration ensuring the sub is on. This small change is extremely worthwhile if you want to sit on your sofa and adjust the sub from the Ambeo app.

Hope this helps .... :)

Jeff
Thanks

So same settings as above but with filter set to out?

Thanks

So same settings as above but with filter set to out?
Just tried it and I get subwoofer hum, certainly audible if watching TV

Back to above settings!

That's a shame. The correct setting integrates the sub into the full Ambeo calibration with the bonus of controlling the volume of the sub from the sofa. It’s a shame you cannot find the cause of the hum.

That's a shame. The correct setting integrates the sub into the full Ambeo calibration with the bonus of controlling the volume of the sub from the sofa. It’s a shame you cannot find the cause of the hum.
Yes I had this problem initially and even spoke to Tom myself but couldn't resolve

I can control the sub from the app using my settings?

I tried a host of different settings but found the above quoted the best **for me** and my environment.

10 months in and I'm still amazed at this set up, the bass can actually hurt your ears in some films!

I tried a host of different settings but found the above quoted the best **for me** and my environment.

10 months in and I'm still amazed at this set up, the bass can actually hurt your ears in some films!
yes it can and if it sounds good to your ears it's ok only thing that matters;)

Last edited:
Tried the sub from the app and mine works too!
yeah no worries like i stated if it sounds nice there 's no trouble. Everybody has a different set-up and right to their opinion but if you like your sound with sub that's the way to go.

It makes considerable difference in my view.

All that "out" switch does is ask you whether you'd like the sub to be fully controlled by your "AV" system (Ambeo) or would you like it to be entirely independant and not change at all once you have set it. With an Ambeo it seems obvious to me that it would be much better if the Ambeo embraces and completely controls the sub with allowing you to tweak and adjust if you must from within the app with both a master volume control and the sub adjustment within each pre-set eg movie, music, etc environment.

Don't overlook even more importantly that this also means the full control passing through made by the different Dolby sound modes. If you don't use "out" your sub never changes for Dolby and merely ignores what Dolby is trying to do - eg explosions and all that immersive sub-base stuff you want Dolby sound modes to control. Also each Ambeo preset - you're not controlling the sub within the Ambeo if not using "out". Dolby wants to control the sub on a moment by moment basis and your setting prevents that and leaves the setting flat rather than variably controlled by the Dolby sound mode. And not to overlook the "night" setting which isn't controlling the sub when not using "out".

Also, if you leave it with your current setting then each time you tweak or change settings on the sub you'd technicvally need to recalibrate it because with the out setting the Ambeo sets the volume perfectly as it wants it for the complete calibration - unless you feel that one setting untouched is genuinely good enough for all modes including ignoring Dolby for you and your setup.

I'm not clear how you could get a much better sound-bar setup than having the sub fully integrated into the Ambeo experience by using "out". This is entirely my "non-expert" view of this!

Jeff

:)

Last edited:
I recently purchased the AMBEO. Initially I had it connected to my ROKU only (STB not working at that time) and it sounded great. Fast forward to yesterday, when I connected the new STB. Now, I cannot get any sound from it. My TV is a three year old LG 75" LED. It does not have eARC. Only ARC. I am having a difficult time trying to configure both the TV and the AMBEO. No luck, so far. I have just now contacted Sennheiser with my issue. Waiting for the answer. I am hoping that the amount I paid for it will be worth it.

I have no idea whether this will help. Firstly I experience a lag of a few seconds before I hear sound. Secondly I’d try selecting each input from the app in turn, waiting a few seconds in between. Sometimes my app garbles input names. I presume you’ve tried a different cable and ensure it’s lodged in ok. What is the stb?

I recently purchased the AMBEO. Initially I had it connected to my ROKU only (STB not working at that time) and it sounded great. Fast forward to yesterday, when I connected the new STB. Now, I cannot get any sound from it. My TV is a three year old LG 75" LED. It does not have eARC. Only ARC. I am having a difficult time trying to configure both the TV and the AMBEO. No luck, so far. I have just now contacted Sennheiser with my issue. Waiting for the answer. I am hoping that the amount I paid for it will be worth it.
Mostly a full reboot of Lg and ambeo will fix the issue . Probably trying to read the hdmi edid and don't work without the reboot.

Glad I posted the settings correction and it now works. The Ambeo integrates it into the experience.

Got rid of the hum?
Sorry what I meant was I reverted to my previous settings and I can control the sub via the app, as can others

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom