Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar

I'm very interested in the Sony ht-a9s. I'd be very interested in what you think of them.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the Sony ht-a9s. I'd be very interested in what you think of them.
It’s not yet released here in UK. My retailer expects middle to end of this month. Once it’s received I’ll be able to let you know what I think of it 👍

It was Sennheiser replacing my unit under warranty. Sorry that's not helpful. I tried many of the suggestions on here first but in the end I contacted them and they offered either repair or replacement with refurb. Repair would take 2 weeks so I went for the refurb as I could get that first and send the faulty one back afterwards.
Aha, thanks for the info. Hopefully the referb works to your liking.

Hate to say it, but I’ve just returned my second unit for a full refund to my Richer Sounds store. I’m so desperately sad as overall the SQ was phenomenal. I’ve watched so many movies and been jaw droppingly impressed. However for £2,199 I expect flawless operation. Unfortunately, for me, there was too many software glitches that I could overlook. I’ve had the unit starting up in the middle of the night (and announcing this all over the house!), I’ve had no sound output from my tv apps, then I’ve had no sound from external inputs (4k and skyQ). I’ve had pops and other spurious sounds from both units.
I’m really so disappointed and now I’ve had to go back to my ancient yammy Ysp2500 I know just now amazing the capabilities of the unit was. But I expect this kind of investment to work as it should every time without fail. I put up with similar issues on my Cyrus 8SE CD player for far too long and I’m not prepared to do that again for another high end manufacturer. I’m not a Sennheiser hater either…I own several other products and my go to current headphones are HD660S which I love.
Anyhow, all returned for a full refund and I’ve preordered and paid for the new Sony A9 speaker system which I’m hoping gives me everything the Sennheiser did but without the software issues (and hopefully more overhead effects). I’ll keep you posted once it’s received.
What a shame, but understandable when the product does not do what it should do. I love my ambeo. I have had my glitches, especially the combi with google does not work as it should. Very poor stability in the software. Luckily i have managed all my issues and i can enjoy my ambeo. Good look and good SQ with your sony choice.

Sennheiser Ambeo joins 5.1.4. The Ambeo will take over daily TV watching duties and the HT will be more for movie night. LCR and rears surround are Canton (Ergo and Chrono), SVS elevations and subs, Denon AVR, Panasonic 4K BRP, and 85” Samsung Q90T. Next up, Emotiva amps, and route speaker wiring through the ceiling.
8F5C1CF4-3AFF-41C0-AE2A-100444879851.jpeg
D7443CD1-FF60-47E2-B989-C825F5EBE004.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DAF925D-2EF2-4142-8B7A-260C7508AA65.jpeg
    4DAF925D-2EF2-4142-8B7A-260C7508AA65.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 4A743765-9A3F-439E-A6A6-660C584C0AD6.jpeg
    4A743765-9A3F-439E-A6A6-660C584C0AD6.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 126
What a shame, but understandable when the product does not do what it should do. I love my ambeo. I have had my glitches, especially the combi with google does not work as it should. Very poor stability in the software. Luckily i have managed all my issues and i can enjoy my ambeo. Good look and good SQ with your sony choice.
Yes a real shame. I was so disappointed and felt bereft when I was packing it up. I’ve temporarily put my YSP2500 back on sound duties and boy can I tell the difference. I used to think it was brilliant, but after experiencing Ambeo I now know different. That being said I still think the Yamaha does an incredible job of steering the sounds all around me (probably better than the Ambeo). There’s no overhead channels , but then I really wasn’t getting that from the Ambeo (more mid height).
Anyhow I just hope the Sony does a great job…having 2 speakers behind me will certainly add more to the rear and as they have up firing speakers that should give me the overheads that I’m after…….🤞

I still like it but miss having a strong rear soundstage. I'm going to demo the Sony A9 and see if I want to swap.
Do you know when you’re getting yours? I’ve preordered mine from RS and will be on a 30 day home trial….hopefully with me by mid to end of this month 🤞

Do you know when you’re getting yours? I’ve preordered mine from RS and will be on a 30 day home trial….hopefully with me by mid to end of this month 🤞
I've not ordered mine yet. I'd like to see more reviews and maybe even have an in store demo. But I'll be ordering from RS.

I wonder when this update will be available from the app rather than USB.

Hi all, I've just bought the Ambeo and some tips/clarification would be great from owners.

First off, I love the sound. Coming from a Bose sountouch 300 the quality is cinema-esque in comparison.

My only gripe is that I bought this bar mainly to experience atmos. I have to say I'm not getting any sort of atmos experience from it. This may be my fault - I sit about 13 feet from the TV, ceiling is about 10 ft. TV bar is placed about 2 ft fron one wall and then on the other side there isnt a wall for about 18 ft.

Is my room just not right for a soundbar with atmos? Or I have I just missed some settings.

Ta

Hi all, I've just bought the Ambeo and some tips/clarification would be great from owners.

First off, I love the sound. Coming from a Bose sountouch 300 the quality is cinema-esque in comparison.

My only gripe is that I bought this bar mainly to experience atmos. I have to say I'm not getting any sort of atmos experience from it. This may be my fault - I sit about 13 feet from the TV, ceiling is about 10 ft. TV bar is placed about 2 ft fron one wall and then on the other side there isnt a wall for about 18 ft.

Is my room just not right for a soundbar with atmos? Or I have I just missed some settings.

Ta
When it comes to placement, the ambeo relies on reflective surfaces/boundaries to deliver its atmos/surround effects. Unfortunately that means it works great in some rooms, and not so great in other rooms.
The image attached below is from the user manual showing optimal placement for the best atmos/surround effects.
Unfortunately some people won't have a room that meets that ideal layout.

If it's possible, you could re-arrange your room to try and give the ambeo more reflective surfaces to work with. But let's face it that is probably not an option.

I know this will sound extreme, but if you want decent atmos as a priority, and the ambeo is still within the return period, take it back to the retailer and get the Sony HT-A9 instead.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 123

Ta
Return it you never get decent Atmos with those measurements

Thanks both. I'll have a play with it and move some stuff around. Living room is rather large

Ok new issue... using the BT Sport app via playstation 5 has awful (and I mean awful) lip sync issues.

I've connected directly to the TV via eArc and the ps5 connected directly to the TV. If anyone has any ideas / fixes that would be great.

Edit: ok it's obvious when running any app via the PS5. Youtube etc included and games. The lip sync is way off. The UB9000 4k player works just fine however.

Last edited:
Ok new issue... using the BT Sport app via playstation 5 has awful (and I mean awful) lip sync issues.

I've connected directly to the TV via eArc and the ps5 connected directly to the TV. If anyone has any ideas / fixes that would be great.

Edit: ok it's obvious when running any app via the PS5. Youtube etc included and games. The lip sync is way off. The UB9000 4k player works just fine however.
Use hdmi 1,2or 3:eek:f ambeo better result earc sucks

If I switch preferred format to DTS on the PS5 it solves the issue. But I lose quality...
Quatsch lossless can be decode by hdmi in on Ambeo without quality loss

Quatsch lossless can be decode by hdmi in on Ambeo without quality loss
Had to mess with ps5 settings and put 4k video transfer rate to minus 1 and change earc on the tv to auto. Solved the issue in case any one else experiences it.

A q though, my TV has 3 options.1. to output compressed audio without change, 2 output only compressed audio for multi channel content without change or 3. Always output in PCM. Currenlty set on 1. Is that the best setting? Find all this pcm/passthrough/DD so confusing!

I wonder when this update will be available from the app rather than USB.
My Ambeo updatet automatically. Not from app or USB. It is connected tomthe internet. I could check the version within the app.

Ta
Here a bit of my thoughts. The issue in regard to Atmos is that you sit to far away from your screen/ambeo. You need to be within 9.84 feet for a good Atmos effect.

as long as you have reflecting surfaces/walls on either side and the back. The surround effect will be made due to the room calibration.

i have a 323 square feet room. On the left large windows and on the right a small wall and a large opening (to another room, not calculated within the 323 sq/ft.
my couch is sort of in the middel of the room. In any case i sit 8.2 feet away from the ambeo.

in my opinion i have full immersive sound and i can distinguish where the sound coming from.

hopefully you get it sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom