Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar Problem

DavidShephard

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice. I have had my Ambeo soundbar for 4 months and have been very happy with it. Last night it developed a problem.
I have an Apple TV HD plugged into HDMI 1 and a Panasonic UB820EBK plugged into HDMI 2. I have an LG 65CX connected to the eARC HDMI on both the Ambeo and TV. All connections are with 8K HDMI cables. Everything has worked perfectly from day 1.
Last night I was watching something on the Apple TV, paused it, left the room, came back and now there is no sound from the Apple TV or Blu Ray. I did a factory reset, recalibrated, so I know the soundbar is working but no audio.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Any help is much appreciated.
Best Wishes
David

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice. I have had my Ambeo soundbar for 4 months and have been very happy with it. Last night it developed a problem.
I have an Apple TV HD plugged into HDMI 1 and a Panasonic UB820EBK plugged into HDMI 2. I have an LG 65CX connected to the eARC HDMI on both the Ambeo and TV. All connections are with 8K HDMI cables. Everything has worked perfectly from day 1.
Last night I was watching something on the Apple TV, paused it, left the room, came back and now there is no sound from the Apple TV or Blu Ray. I did a factory reset, recalibrated, so I know the soundbar is working but no audio.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Any help is much appreciated.
Best Wishes
David
Hi David,

Have you tried to connect all the boxes to the TV and see whether you get any sound via the TV?

Jeff

Hi David,

Have you tried to connect all the boxes to the TV and see whether you get any sound via the TV?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
thank you for your reply. I tried that last night. In fact if I switch the sound bar off and then select the TV speakers. I get sound with the HDMI going through the switched off sound bar.
Best Wishes
David

Last edited:
I agree it is bewildering. I suggest a call to Sennheiser,

It’s very weird! I think that’s a good idea and before that I’m going uncable and recable, update/reinstall the firmware on everything because they’ll probably tell me to do that anyway. And I’m going to switch off auto update on firmware!

It’s very weird! I think that’s a good idea and before that I’m going uncable and recable, update/reinstall the firmware on everything because they’ll probably tell me to do that anyway. And I’m going to switch off auto update on firmware!
I know it's obvious but .... also just unplug everything and count to 20 and then plug/switch everything back on. Perhaps repeating this but change the order in which things are switched on. I'd also try odd stuff like unplug everything. Don't connect anything to anything. Plug everything up again but unconnected. Then unplug again and wait and replug. Then connect up.

This stuff always works in mysterious ways and sometimes problems get cured without ever understanding why or how.

I occaisionally lose sound and simply unplug everything and replug it seems to fix things. I plug all STBs into the TV and simply have the one connection to the Senn ie the TV.

Hope you do get it fixed and would be interested to hear what happens.

Hi Jeff,
I'm going to do all of this, thank you. I decided to wire things in the opposite way that you have. I decided to use the sound bar as the source switch and have one cable to the TV. Was there a reason you decided to use the TV as the source switch?
Best Wishes
David

Hi Jeff,
I'm going to do all of this, thank you. I decided to wire things in the opposite way that you have. I decided to use the sound bar as the source switch and have one cable to the TV. Was there a reason you decided to use the TV as the source switch?
Best Wishes
David

Hi,

No overwhelming reason.

I find the Senn a bit temperamental and this setup seems to be less so. I also have a number of STBs and an HDMI switch is connected to the TV. I also find sometimes on bad sound sources when I need better speech then having the option to use the TV speaker wihich is decent on the Sony AF9 useful. Simply powering off the Senn puts the sound through the TV. Also as there are a lot of apps on the TV I find it easier to effectively leave the Senn in Movie mode by default and then control eveything else via the TV RC rather than using a combination of the Senn RC and TV RC because of the number of boxes I'm using. Going back and forth between RC's is simply annoying. The volume on the TV RC obviously controls the Senn volume.

There are better people with better eyes and ears than me but I find no discernible loss of either sound or vision quality set up this way. I also have a decent sub connected to the Senn which I'm pleased with. I am very much a night person and sometimes I'm aware that the sub might be a bit overwhelming to the wife's sleep although she says it doesn't bother her - so just swtching the Senn of and reverting to the TV seems considerate!

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,
makes sense. Well I owe you a big thank you. At lunch time I thought I'd give your idea a go before taking the whole thing apart tonight. So powered everything off at the wall, left it off for a minute, powered it back up and all sorted.
Very odd and thanks again for your advice.
Best Wishes
David

Hi Jeff,
makes sense. Well I owe you a big thank you. At lunch time I thought I'd give your idea a go before taking the whole thing apart tonight. So powered everything off at the wall, left it off for a minute, powered it back up and all sorted.
Very odd and thanks again for your advice.
Best Wishes
David
Thanks, so pleased I helped and it's cured.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom