1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sennheiser 595's

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by starbuck, Oct 30, 2004.

1. starbuck

starbuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a pair. Any idea how long they would take to run in before they sound their best? Anyone had any experience with these? comments?

2. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HD 650s took about 100 hours to settle down and another 100 before they started sounding as they do now. Patience is definately a virtue with Senns. Just leave 'em on whilst you're sleeping and they'll be done in a couple of weeks. ;)

3. KevinP

KevinP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over at head-fi they recommend over 50 hours of burn in (eg. in this thread). Sometimes even 100-200 hours is not uncommon. I normally leave headphones on for a couple of nights on a de-tuned FM station, not sure if that really does much good though...

I've had HD595's for a couple of months, very impressed so far. Easy to drive, sound good amped or unamped with a wide range of music. Some say they're brighter than HD600's or 650's but with the typical wide sennheiser trademark soundstage. Anyway, I like them...

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi!

They are definitely brighter than the 600...

5. Stig-

Stig-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of getting a pair of these myself.

I currently have a pair of 580's which I've had possibly 4-5 years now and are getting a little shabby and need the cables replacing for a second time.

I originally bought the HD 580s for gaming when I was playing seriously at a high standard, I was advised they were the best at the time.

Now, I still use them for gaming and also listening to music sometimes.

I really like the look of the 595's but I was told they don't really match up to the 580/600/650 range.

How do they compare and what do you mean by "brightness"?

I assume 650s are the best you can get but I can't afford them. Would I be best simply replacing the cable again on my 580s, buying a pair of 600s or are the 595s worth buying?

6. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    The 595 are also very good, but they have a different tonality... By bright I mean that the high frequencies sound louder than the rest of the spectrum.
    I have been told that the 600 are just the 580 with a better "case" or "frame", that is, metal instead of plastic. It is supposed to have some sonic properties, but the difference is very small. Thus, for a real improvement over your present headphones, you should rather go for the 650 (mine are ordered :) ).
    If you are satisfied with the sound, I wouldn't go for the 595. They really sound different. Or maybe you should try them in a shop to get an idea about it... Who knows, maybe you even like them more.
    I hope this helps, regards,

Alberto

7. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to try them out for yourself. Opinions change so quickly from one extreme to another in the "hi-fi community", all it takes is a few negative posts by some wellregarded members.

Back when I bought my HD590 everybody was crazy about them, I read nothing but good reviews. I have had them for about 3 years and I still think they are awsome. Then I come back to the hi-fi community to find some earbuds, and immediately notice that the opinion on HD590 has changed from very good to very bad - now all I read is "omg hd590 sucks, they are not worth even 50$!!" probably by people who have never tried them.

8. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Just use them and let them break in with usage. It depends on your source equipment, if it's quite high spec and you like the current sound of the phones expect it to get a little better - don't plan for some huge leap in quality or you'll be disappointed. If your source is basic then you may not even get to hear a difference as the phones break in.

For those thinking of the higher cost HD600/650s then again they are OK with good sources and a good headphone amp but beware of the two camps of opinion. One hates all Senns and paints them dark, moody and not worth the expense; the other paints too rosy a picture. The truth is somewhere in the middle and can be down to your personal taste, music choice and the pairing of the source, amp and headphones.

You may read of people experiencing night & day differences just changing the cables on some headphones but that won't be the case for everyone- some will swear there s no difference.

Bottom line don't spend a fortune on new headphones without trying them out first if possible.

9. Stig-

Stig-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, thanks the for the advice guys :)