Senn CX300...very jog unfriendly!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Jules, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    30 minutes on a treadmill is boring, so yesterday I decided to buy my first MP3 player (a Sony) and naturally chucked away the freebie headphones.

I planned to use my existing Sennheiser MX500's, but they are a bit too big for my ears, so when I saw the 'ear canal' CX300's (which everyone is raving about) for sale in the same store, I bought them too.

However, they are definately NOT suitable for jogging. If you intend to buy them for the gym..... forget it! Stick with regular ear buds.
    Every step generates a loud thump in your head. After the first 30 seconds on the treadmill I had to take them out... it really isn't pleasant and I've got ear ache now.

I imaging they'd be very good for sitting still on public transport (I don't use public transport) but they should be avoided for anything else.

I also think the bass is too heavy and hard aswell.
    So although I'm a Sennheiser fan (I have a pair of the awsome HD600's aswell), I feel I need to redress the balance on the glowing reviews of these ear phones scattered all over the web.

Although they probably are quite good for this type of product, I reckon other phones would be a better choice for most people.

I imagine selling the CX300's would be difficult. Despite my fanatical ear hygene, the rubber seals have become slightly 'tacky'. I'm sure noone would fancy them second hand.

I'm now looking for a pair of decent 'vertical' ear buds to see if they are better suited to the gym and my tiny lug holes.
    Any recommendations?

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I agree with you - they arent good for excersing. I wish you had come here first - I would have told you this.

I love mine, but I dont exercise with them. Personally i dont really think any ear bud / canal phones are good for exercising - I'd prefer clip-ons like the Koss KSC-75.

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If quality isn't your major consideration, the Sony MDR-J20 stays in the ears comfortably and without undue shifting about during exercise. Used to use these in the gym a couple of years back.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    I'm sticking with my MX500's.
    Is it just my odd shaped ears, or does everyone else find that when you insert ordinary ear buds vertically (making them stick out and look stupid) they sound 100 times better?

To be honest, the MX500's really outclass the CX300's in this position. they sound much more open and balanced. Going back to the CX300's sounds boxy and unnatural.

So if I can find an equivalent of the MX500's but designed for vertical insertion (and therefore more discreet) I'll buy them.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Horses for courses, but I had the MX500's and to be honest they arent a patch on the CX300s in any respect (in my opinion). They are uncomfortable, dont fit in my ears properly, offer zero isolation and lack bass.

Like I say though, each to their own :)