1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending video signal from upstairs PC to downstairs TV?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by janmars, May 20, 2003.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a bunch of movie files on my PC that I would want to watch on my TV. The thing is, my PC is upstairs and my TV is downstairs.

Is there any kind of setup I can use to send the signel and sound down to my TV and Amp? Also, some form of remote control for the PC from downstairs would be handy.

Any one done this before? What would I need...and can it even be done?

I have a GeForce 4 4400 Ti and a Creative Labs Live! 5.1 sound card.

Cheers...

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    You could use a video sender. These can be bought from Argos etc. from around £50.
    A transmitter connects to the PC graphics card TV out & soundcard out and transmits to a receiver plugged into a scart socket on the TV.
    Quality is not great, but not too bad and should have no problems transmitting within a house, but DON'T use the microwave at the same time as this will wipe out the signal.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Nearly forgot......

Most of them also have a remote sensor to send the infrared signal back to the transmitter, so as long as the PC will receive a IR signal you will be able to control it.

Mark.

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The method I use at the moment is a 30m crossover cable connected to my chipped XBox. The whole setup costs less than £200 and giveas me access to all my video and audio files on my TV/AV system downstairs. If you need to you could run a lot more than 30m of cable as well. I bought the xbox dvd kit which has a sensor that plugs into one of the joypad ports, this allowed me to make my pronto control the xbox - it does everything except turn it on (have to get off my ass for that :eek: ), you could just use the original remote if you don't have a pronto, but hey, I'm a sloth!

Some links:

www.xbox-scene.com
    www.xboxmediaplayer.de
    http://www.baldbouncer.co.uk/

www.maplin.co.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RKPK/ref=sr_aps_videogames_1_1/026-5873076-2055656

Let me know if you need any more info,
    Owain

EDIT: didn't say this last night but the main advantage that this method has is quality, it's a LOT better than you would get with a TV-out into a video sender, also its more flexible allowing you to play music as well.

5. janmars

janmars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks for the replies...I will look into the various options before I decide. XBox option looks good though...not sure I can justify the cost of that yet though (just got a GameCube...)

Cheers...

6. janmars

janmars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems I have two user names?? (On a different PC here) Maybe the mods can delete this one?

7. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Owain, which mod chip would you recommend? Or would you suggest getting a pre-modded X-Box, and if so with which chip? Finally are all those sites okay to order from?

Cheers...

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I bought my xbox chip (an xecuter) from bald bouncer, I took the console there in person and had it chipped for £10+cost of chip (£40 as I remember), one of my mates ordered and paid (via PayPal) for a prechipped xbox and got it very promptly, so I could definitely vouch for that site. I think getting a pre-chipped one is best because I'm not too hot with a soldering iron, I'm not sure how things have changed now, there may be some no-solder mods, but even so the extra £10 gives you good piece of mind. If you are going to do the job yourself then bear in mind that you'll need a couple of Torx screwdrivers to get the case open, if you don't own these already then they'll bump the cost up.

I'd probably go for the one with the x-ecuter lite pre-fitted with a disable switch (£199), this would seem the most cost-effective solution. If there's no chance that you'd want to play on xbox live then forget the switch and save a fiver.

Once you've got a chipped xbox you just need to connect it to your home network (if you have one) or join it to your PC's NIC with a crossover cable.

Load it with a dashboard replacement like evolutionX (see this tutorial), set the network address you want it to use and then just connect to it via FTP from your PC (http://evox.xboxhackz.net/evox/guides/body_basic_networking.html).

Once you are able to connect to the xbox you need to install XBMP on it as well as putting relax on your server PC.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Owain

9. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help owen. Looks like quite an involved process if you are not sure what you are doing. If I was to go with the X-Box option, I deffinatly would get a pre-modded one for the reasons you mention.

I am still considering using an s-video connection from my PC rather than a video sender to achieve a connection to the TV. Though, I really like the idea of using an X-Box, and the fact that it will likely result in a better picture.

Anyway...thanks for the help so far...will let you know what I decide...

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    it's not quite as daunting when you get the stuff in front of you, it probably takes longer to explain it all than to actually get on and do it.

Svideo is an option, but it won't work over more than about 10m, as far as I know, above that and you're talking about needing some form of amplification, also the quality won't be as good as with a direct RGB connection. Couple that with the fact that you'd still have to find some way of controlling your PC from downstairs and it's probably going to cost the same ormore than an xbox setup, with lesser quality and features.

Let us know what you decide, if you go for the xbox route I can happily take you through the setup, it's not too involved and once it's all setup any one can use the system, it's just like having your own personal Blockbusters :)

Owain

11. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just tried my PC on the TV using a S-Video cable and the results are fairly encouraging...(though I have a slight problem now).

I am going to see how this goes for a while and see what I think of it. Also have been provide with a link to a website that provides a IR recieving unit that would allow me to remote control my PC from another room using more or less any type of remote.

If it doesn't pan out...I will give the X-Box option a go.