• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sending Sky + to other room

Something else

Hi,

I am having an extension built at the minute, I have sky+ in the front room on a nice big tele and I want to have a nice big tele, will be HD ready, in the extension and have Sky on that too.

I realise if I want to watch different things at the same time I will have to get multiroom but I dont think that will happen to often so I would rather not give Sky any more of my hard earned money.

I could go wired, although I wouldn't know where to start and I could go wireless but I am worried about picture quality and interference with my phones, wifi and anything else that runs in the house.

Any ideas on the best options open to me?

Many Thanks :hiya:

F

Fatwaz

the easiest way is via a coax cable from the rf2 output of the sky box and run this to the tv in the extension and wire it up via a magic eye which means you can watch all your normal channels on sky and change channels too with a remote however the picture quality on a big screen hd ready tv will be very poor that way.

a better alternative is maybe buying a second hand sky box off ebay and connect it via a sat cable to another output on the lnb on the end of the dish,then phone sky for a freesat card for £20 and you can connect the new box up in the extension via rgb scart to the tv and watch the free channels on sky in the best picture quality you can without it affecting whats being watched in the front room

Broadz

Distinguished Member
a better alternative is maybe buying a second hand sky box off ebay and connect it via a sat cable to another output on the lnb on the end of the dish,then phone sky for a freesat card for £20 and you can connect the new box up in the extension via rgb scart to the tv and watch the free channels on sky in the best picture quality you can without it affecting whats being watched in the front room

That works fine if the OP is happy only watching the free stuff on his Sky box in the conservatory. And, if he wanted to watch a non-premium channel in the conservatory that would also work up to a point (take the subs card out of the main box, put it in the conservatory box, watch Sky). But where this idea falls down is if the OP wants to watch Sky Sports (or Sky movies) in the conservatory. Because these aren't accessible on the second box without phoning Sky to pair the card and second box together (then phoning them again later to restore the original pairing).

It is really down to whether the OP would only ever want to mirror what is being shown on the main Sky box (RF or AV receiver and a single box), would only ever want to watch free or non-premium stuff in the conservatory (and if watching non-premium stuff, leave the box in the living room only able to access free stuff itself) (two boxes, take the subscription card to the box that he wants to watch), or whether he would want to be able to watch different channels on his subscription from both boxes at the same time (multiroom).

keppy2006

Standard Member
Further question to watching sky in other room.

I have sky HD (including sky+) box in lounge and i have a cable from the RF out port to a junction splitting box in loft and then the box serves three other rooms where i can watch any programme that the sky box is tuned to.

The 3 other rooms have tv's thus ;-
A 17 inch flat screen in kitchen which picks up freeview signal served by input stated above plus the slave sky program as mentioned above. The sky slave prog appears on the tv option and not the DVB option.

The other 2 tvs in bedroom and study are both old colour analogue tv's and all i want to pick up is the slave sky signal which is ok for my needs.

They are all working fine at present ...
THE QUESTION IS THIS .... WHEN THE ANALOGUE IS SWITCHED OFF WILL THE RF OUTPUT FROM THE SKY BOX STILL WORK ON THE 3 TV 'S IN OTHER ROOMS... I am assuming it will .
Please dont shoot me down with your replies
THANKS,
Ken

F

Fatwaz

Further question to watching sky in other room.

I have sky HD (including sky+) box in lounge and i have a cable from the RF out port to a junction splitting box in loft and then the box serves three other rooms where i can watch any programme that the sky box is tuned to.

The 3 other rooms have tv's thus ;-
A 17 inch flat screen in kitchen which picks up freeview signal served by input stated above plus the slave sky program as mentioned above. The sky slave prog appears on the tv option and not the DVB option.

The other 2 tvs in bedroom and study are both old colour analogue tv's and all i want to pick up is the slave sky signal which is ok for my needs.

They are all working fine at present ...
THE QUESTION IS THIS .... WHEN THE ANALOGUE IS SWITCHED OFF WILL THE RF OUTPUT FROM THE SKY BOX STILL WORK ON THE 3 TV 'S IN OTHER ROOMS... I am assuming it will .
Please dont shoot me down with your replies
THANKS,
Ken

do you mean the digital switchover?if so yes it will still work as the sky box is getting a digital signal,after that you can watch it however you chose

keppy2006

Standard Member
Yes i meant the digital switchover.

So no need to scrap the analogue sets if we are content in just using the tv as a sky box slave via the RF out socket..

Any significance on the different RF out numbers ... are they all the same ?

Thanks for your prompt reply

Ken

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom