sending signal to other tv's with VM+ box

sabba

Standard Member
Reaction score
With the old vm pace box i used to send the signal to other tv's in the house through an RF input and output booster so the kids could watch cable when i'm watching terrestial tv. since going to vm+ box i cannot get this as the new box doesn't have an RF output socket can the signal be sent to other tv's via a scart to RF connecor then into my booster

The only thing you can do is connect an old vcr to the vcr output of the v+ box and then connect the RF output of the vcr around the house .
Select on the vcr the scart input for the V+ box and the RF output will output the box signal .

The only thing you can do is connect an old vcr to the vcr output of the v+ box and then connect the RF output of the vcr around the house .
Select on the vcr the scart input for the V+ box and the RF output will output the box signal .

It doesn't have to be an old VCR. You can use a dedicated standalone RF modulator rather than the modulator inside of a VCR.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1268128-virgin-v-box-splitting-signal.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1229852-virgin-media-hd-box-rf-out-questions.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1257753-v-box-extra-telly.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1251191-virgin-box-same-picture-two-tvs.html

Last edited:
Hi mate,

I have the same problem. I was watching cable tv in my bedroom using the RF output on my old Virgin Box.

Last week I got the New Samsung HD box and shock horror there's no RF output.

At the moment I'm using a VCR to watch TV in my room but this is a nusiance so I did some research and found this little gem.

Universal Scart To Coax Video Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The reviews state that it works on the Virgin HD boxes. Mine arrived last night and I will hook it up tonight to see if it works.

I will confirm here in the morning if you are interested.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
At the moment I'm using a VCR to watch TV in my room but this is a nusiance so I did some research and found this little gem.

Universal Scart To Coax Video Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

The reviews state that it works on the Virgin HD boxes. Mine arrived last night and I will hook it up tonight to see if it works.

Or you could use

350.111 ILS102 RF MODULATOR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Which appears to be the same box but over 2 quid less.

Whatever this seems to be far and away the best specced modulator for under £20.

If you search this forum however you will find that some people have had difficulty with this bit of kit. Also the amazon reviews are mixed wrt success with the V+ and one CCTV user suggests that this device only accepts an RGB input. However I am convinced that contrary to general opinion some V+ boxes do output RGB on the VCR scart. Mine apparently does.

Coincidentally I decided to remove the VCR that has now not played a tape in over a year and is only acting as a RF modulator for the V+. Consequently I ordered one (at £16.50) on tuesday evening. I assume it will be delivered tomorrow. I look forward to comparing notes on how his works out with you as yours is a Samsung V+ and mine is the SA version.

(note fyi SA V+ does have RF out but this is disabled in HDMI mode - hence need also for RF modulator).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Or you could use

350.111 ILS102 RF MODULATOR: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Which appears to be the same box but over 2 quid less.

Hmm how bizzare that is the exact model that I received. It's the ILS102. Just been mugged off 2 quid :thumbsdow

Anyway I am pleased to report that this does work with my New Samsung V+HD box.

It's very simple to use. I plugged the VCR Scart into the modulator, the ariel/coaxial lead to the RF Out, retuned my tv to the correct frequency and hey presto it works.

I did however find that the audio was slightly out of sync so I simply selected another channel, retuned the tv again and it worked fine.

I had a quick read this morning through various threads here about RF modulators and I have to be honest I'm glad i took the plunge first this time as there does seem to be a lot of differences in opinion with these things.

Anyway it works for me if this helps anyone, just save yourself 2 quid and follow Boostrail link :thumbsup:

Leeray 3 - many thanks for your positive feedback. Mine arrived today but due to being out, replanned Sunday family gathering from Sunday (My HDLCD is better than all of them!)my footy and crunch episode of eastenders does not look as though i can report back until monday!:rolleyes:

I originally thought the spare tv in the bedroom wasn't HD ready but it is. It wasn't a particularly expensive matsui one but all the same. I have just ordered a scart rf modulator to go from back of v+ box then rf to the spare tv. My main tv downstairs is currently viewed via hdmi, is there a hdmi splitter box similar to the rf one that will do a similar job but HD? Or should I stick with what I've ordered with the rf modulator?

You will only get SD to your upstairs TV. Transmitting a HD picture from a hdmi is possible, but extremely expensive. If you really want HD upstairs you would be better off getting an additional V box.

I use one of these, but the virgin technician is coming on monday, should i unplug it all before he does?

Hi All

Just a quickie , http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1307529-using-our-v-box-watch-same-picture-2nd-tv.html#post12799782 .............

If i use either an old VCR or a modulator as posted above , will i have to change the settings on the v+ box to SD (its set to HDMI at the mo) to watch the same picture on the 2nd TV ?

If so , how ?

The VCR SCART output still outputs an SD analogue signal while the HDMI output is sill in use and outputting the HD signal. Use the VCR SCART output to connect the RF modulator. No settings on the cable box need be altered.

Tried this last night guys , using a VCR , and it didnt work......i couldnt tune to what was dispalying on the V+ box....it would only find some sort of test looking picture from the VCR , the only thing i can think is the RF lead i used from VCR->2nd TV , was Male-Male.......and there is a male connection on the VCR , should that make the difference ?

Thanks

Obviously you should be connecting male to female at both ends of the cable. I would think it was impossible to connect male to male. There are adaptors you can buy to change from one to the other if you don't want to be bothered to change the plugs.. However, if you are getting a 'test' picture from the VCR then something is obviously going down the line. I might suggest that your problem might lie in the SCART lead from the V box to the VCR. You need a full SCART lead with all the pins connected. There are some that are only partially connected. Check this and make a change if necessary.

Depending on how your VCR works you will obviously have to change it to be 'recording' from the AV socket you have connected to the V+ box.

Last edited:
Obviously you should be connecting male to female at both ends of the cable. I would think it was impossible to connect male to male. There are adaptors you can buy to change from one to the other if you don't want to be bothered to change the plugs.. However, if you are getting a 'test' picture from the VCR then something is obviously going down the line. I might suggest that your problem might lie in the SCART lead from the V box to the VCR. You need a full SCART lead with all the pins connected. There are some that are only partially connected. Check this and make a change if necessary.

Depending on how your VCR works you will obviously have to change it to be 'recording' from the AV socket you have connected to the V+ box.

Mike , the VCR has 1 male port and 1 female port on it , and i happen to only have a male-male aerial cable....so stuck it in the female...

Last edited:
Avoiding any innuendos you need to establish which of these connections is output and input. Obviously you are needing to feed your extension cable from the 'output' RF of the video. You may need to by a cheap convertor to change the 'sex' of your extension cable. They are only a couple of Pounds or so from B&Q or Maplin. Saves messing about cutting the end and fitting the right plug.

Cheers Mike , will taht not `dilute` the signal do you think ?
also , what did you mean by "Depending on how your VCR works you will obviously have to change it to be 'recording' from the AV socket you have connected to the V+ box."

?

Cheers again

Dan

Its just a straight connector to change 'male' to 'female' and will do nothing to the signal.
You will be feeding the AV socket a signal from the V+ Box (not the TV). You will need to set the VCR so it is reading the signal from the AV socket that you are using. It's so long since I had a VCR, but as I recall mine had two sockets. Not all machines are the same.

Once you are wired up make sure the the VCR is switched on. Then go upstairs and retune the tv. You should see the the VCR signal coming in on one 'channel'. It should then be an easy matter to set up the VCR to send the V box signal.

Last edited:
well , that didnt work either , using a male-female , the output on VCR , into the 2nd TV , it brings back a nice lear picture saying the VCR is now set to output on channel 23 , apparently , either way i cant tune to the channel virgin is on...

I'm losing the plot here. Are you saying you can see this message on your upstairs TV? or are you saying that your upstairs TV will not find the channel that your VCR is transmitting its picture on. Putting it another way, if you put in a pre-recorded tape and played it, can you see this upstairs?

If that is working you should then be able to plug in the VCR connection from the V box and away you go. The socket you use on the V box will be marked VCR (don't use the TV one).

lol the 2nd TV is finding (on searching for the channel that virgin is on once scart is in v plus VCR slot into VCR and aerial cable is going from VCR output into 2nd TV aerial port) the message saying the VCR output is on channel 23 , i am using a meter long aerial cable and the 2nd TV is in the frontroom next to v plus box , as i need to see if it works before i get a 20m long piece of aerial cable to feed from VCR in frontroom up to where the 2nd TV will end up living....

I will plug it all back in again later and try palying a video tape mate

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom