Sending RGB to bedroom?

mrbriggs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to send the RGB signal from my SKY+ box to my 17" sony lcd HD tv in the bedroom. How can I do this?

The TV has DVI, vga, component, s-video and composite connections. Is there some sort of transmitter that I can buy that say runs over ethernet cable? I can run the cable through the walls and in the loft. I currently have a cheap wireless set up but this interferes when you walk in front of it and is rubbish quality and I would really like to have RGB signal (OR better if poss!)

I'd also like to be able to control the sky box remotely if poss? And of course I would like the stereo sound transmitted as well. The main thing is to make the most of the decent quality picture this lcd is capable of!!!

Finally, I am on a bit of a budget!

Thanks.

My advice would be to send S-VHS (SKY+ boxes have this output) and stereo audio to the upstairs room. That way you can leave the RGB scart connection in the main room.

The picture quality difference would be very very small, particularly on a 17" TV, in fact unless you put 2 sets side by side I doubt you could tell. Even then it would be tough.

Run some aerial coax from RF2 on the sky box upstairs as well and get a 'magic eye' so you can have full control.

I agree about the wireless senders - only good as a temporary solution.

Can you actually get S-video to go that far? Usually with VGA etc it's around 20 feet or so before the capacitive and inductive effects in the cable kill it.

Yes, ok, svideo is fine, but that would mean running 2 phonos, 1 coax and 1 s video (and can s video even go that far?) Is there not a cheap way of running an ethernet cat 5 and get it to do all of that in 1 cable? There must be something out there?!!!

The whole point is that Cat 5 is not a magic calbe, and uses transmission protocols designed for distance. S-video etc is not designed for transmission, so you are chancing it a bit.

That's why modulators exist, to convert the signal into something transmissible over longer distance.

Kramer will be launching at IBC in Amsterdam, an S-video transmitter and receiver over Cat-5 with stereo audio and IR. Delivery date is not yet known

Aha..so some kind of IP transmitter and receiver?
Pity not RGB or YUV, but then again the difference will be hardly noticeable if the S-Video is done well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom