1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending disks to relatives in Canada..!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JohnC, Feb 3, 2005.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys I have a Toshiba RD-SX 32 Multi-region DVD Recorder and would like to send some recorded disks to my brother in Canada.......
    Is there anything I need to do (change any settings for example) when I dub my material to disk in order for him to play it on his player out there?
    or can I simply record and dub as normal in order for him to view it on his player (assuming DVD - R is compatable on his player)?

Many thanks in anticipation John

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Yes - the UK broadcasting standard! As you are probably aware we use PAL, North America uses NTSC. Whilst most of our players will play NTSC disc most US players don't play PAL. Thus unless you record from an NTSC source it will not work in his player - recorders cannot convert on the fly to NTSC!

The options are asking him to watch on a PC with software such as WinDVD or use a PC at your end to convert to NTSC (programmes such as TMPG Encoder 3 XPress will do this for you!)

3. JohnC

JohnC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Rasczak
    Very many thanks... I just wondered if the NTSC option setting on the recorder had anything to do with it..... but I assume from what you say it must be for playing NTSC material.... not recording it!!??

What you say makes sense and Im greatfull for your reply...

Kind regards John

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    That's correct.

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Rasczak is right that most NTSC players don't cope well with a PAL disc, but some do. If you are going to be doing this a lot, it may be worth sending your brother a PAL disc, and see if he can buy a player that will play it. There have been some posts recently pointing out some models of NTSC players that will play PAL discs.

Mark