Sending Back Pioneer DVR-420 - junk!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluesfan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To say I'm disppointed in this unit would be an understatement. Is this the same company that made the dvr-7000?

The noise from the HD and fan is just incredible. First the HD starts up with a loud whirl, then the fan that's even worse and equivalent to an electric toothbrust (a cheap and nasty fan mad in china). Even on low tv volumes without playing through the unit the noise is obtrusive. My room is 12x12, I can hear it from in the hall from on. Worse the HD doesn't power down at all when not in use but emits a constant loud buzz.

These units may do everything but the build quality and slim design means the fan is small and runs at high speed (like the one on the top of a PC processor), rather than a thicker unit with larger (quality) fan that runs slower.

If I just want to sit in my living room I would have to make sure the unit is off. I'm sure if you just power this thing on when playing 'loud' dvds it might not bother you, but most people leave these things on all the time (for overnight recordings for example). I can't believe people find the noise acceptable. Unless they're going deaf!!!

It's going back. The engineers need to go back to the drawing and sit in a living with no sound to hear these things.

End of Pioneer rant....end of 420

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,768
    Is it me or are HD's getting louder? My Yamaha 1300 sits and makes a barely audible purr, the HS2 a more audible thrum and my brothers new E-85 (for which he paid less than my HS2 :mad: ) can be heard over quiet telly passages. I appreciate that cases are getting smaller and drives bigger but it does smack of idleness on somebody's part.

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afterall my laptop isn't that noisy and that has a hard disk. I think Pioneer are sticking in cheap hard disks and cheap fans that will last barely two years.

These things turn your living room into an noisy office.

4. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panasonic has a noisy fan but sometimes it's very quiet and other times it sounds like a motorbike being revved outside the front window. I'll wait till the e65 is available at Richer Sounds before I take it back though ;-)

5. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck. If anyone finds a 'quiet' dvd recorder with or without a hd please let me know. I'm now reconciled to a machine with no hard disk.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Pioneer 5100 and Panasonic HS2 have no discernible noise from HDD after a few seconds at startup.They do sit inside a cabinet with glass doors but I would not have thought that would make that much difference

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,901
    It does - I have just moved my previous Optimum Slimline AV shelving upstairs because the 'open' design is no longer good with todays machines (most of which have a fan of some sort).

My new cabinet, enclosed at the front by glass doors, masks any noise from the components wonderfully.

8. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issue here is cheapest. The Pioneer ax3/5 makes barely a purr from its fan. Why do these dvd recorders have to make so much noise. Small fans, like the one put in the new Pioneers don't last.

9. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer 510 DVD Recorder with 80Gb hard drive and its very quiet.

10. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can believe that. I think the new range must have substantially lower production costs (no jog dial for example). Very un-Pioneer like.

11. DWSpiro

DWSpiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0