• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Send audio to AV receiver and video to projector?

jimmynewshoes

Standard Member
Hi all,

• Have got an Epson 5010 projector
  • Am thinking of buying a Sony STRDH820 AV receiver with 7.1 setup
  • Am thinking of buying a basic Freeview HD set-top box for normal TV viewing - only a small amount of this is 5.1 surround so would use left/right speakers for stereo sound. Only very little of this might be in 3D in the future - this connects into the AV receiver directly.

I need a 3D Blu Ray player and couldn't work out whether:

1. It would be best to buy a cheaper player with one hdmi output - connect this to the AV receiver
2. Buy a more expensive player with two hdmi outputs - connect hdmi1 directly to projector for video, connect hdmi2 to receiver for 7.1 audio

Option 1 means the video goes via the receiver - is this good/bad?
I guess option 2 means that the AV receiver doesn't 'interfere' with the video, not even sure if it would be an issue anyway.

Would appreciate any advice here - perhaps you can save me a hundred bucks!

Am slowly trying to get my head around this simple-ish family room AV entertainment setup.

Thanks!

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
Looks like that receiver is 3D compatible, which means it can pass through 3D video signals. Just connect your 3D player to one of its HDMI inputs, then it will extract the audio for playback and send the video through to your TV/projector via the HDMI out.

If you already had an older receiver that wasn’t 3D compatible, a 3D Blu-ray player with two HDMI outputs would be useful as you could send video to TV via one HDMI out, and audio to the receiver via the other.

Passing the video through the receiver won’t degrade the signal quality or anything, if that’s what you are worried about.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom