1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi OT : Matching A DVD Player with A DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chumpy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, a few of you may know if am currently weighing up the options for DLP, and will probably end up with the Sammy, but I'm curious to know whether anyone has any good recommendations for a DVD Player to match ? Ok - so maybe I should have posted in the DVD forum, but I'm guessing you guys have more relevant experience than the DVD forum.

I was maybe looking at a Denon DVD-2910 or a Pioneer 668. Obviously HDMI is a pre-req here - I want to get the best out of the combination.

I also had the opportunity to look at a less frequently touted Yamaha DVD-S2500 - which is newer but a little more pricey. Unfotunately I have been able to see the players hooked up to plasma's only (grrr) - so it really doesn't give me the extra push to splash out without finding out a little more info just yet.

I have read quite a few reviews on the Pioneer and Denon, and they seem to be much the same - give or take a few things here and there. I don't tend to watch R1 that much (in fact I only have Fear and Loathing (criterion), and Highlander (Immortal) on R1). Not found any reviews of the Yamaha as yet. Good DVD-A and 2-Channel support would be nice, although I'm not really bothered/remain to be convinced about SACD.

Comments, critique, personal experiences welcome.

2. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,665
    The Denon DVD-1910 looks good as does the new samsung DVD-HD950. The sammy player would be a perfect match for the sammy set and it comes with HDMI & DVI-D leads !!

3. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i second that about the hd945 especially at the price.

4. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - no offence, but I'm looking for something a little more higher end. I don't mind spending a little extra on something a little more well built if you know what I mean. I bought my current Pioneer DV-717 new about 6 years and am happy to spend around the same amount again on whatever the equivalent of 717 would be now :)

5. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Chumpy, I've got a 2910 running via HDMI to my Samsung 46" and i, and everyone who has seen it, is well impressed. :thumbsup: