Semi-complicated refresh rate question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jaykova, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Jaykova

Jaykova
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to this site but I hope you can help. I live in Australia (PAL Region) and want to import an NTSC Nintendo 64. NTSC consoles output video at 60Hz and PAL consoles at 50Hz. NTSC and PAL TV's display at the same rate. So if I do import the NTSC console, it will output 60Hz, and I'll need a TV that can display those 60Hz. Will a 100Hz TV achieve that? Some 100Hz TV's say they are compatible with 60Hz but does that just mean that they can accept that signal and the show it at 50Hz or will they actually show the full 60Hz?

tldr: Do PAL TV's saying they are compatible with 60Hz actually show 60Hz or just convert the signal to 50Hz?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,788
    100Hz is fairly irrelevant, as this is tied to the panel or CRT processing, not the input signal.

Most TVs sold in the UK will accept PAL or NTSC, but I cannot say if this is true for your neck of the woods.

Have a look in the manual and see what signals the TV will lock up to. Don't forget PAL is 625 lines and NTSC 525, so you may have issues with the signal not fully filling the screen or rolling over. If you are using the composite video connection, there are other differences that may mean that your TV might only show a black and white picture.