Selling up - advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Rich B, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi (i used to be on here years ago but no longer have the old email address)

Ive decided to sell up but dont really know what any of it is worth now-a-days. Is there even a demand for this kit?
    What would be a reasonable asking price for the following please??

Arcam Alpha 9CD
    Rel Strata III
    Yamaha RX-V3900
    Acoustic Energy Evo 3 Floorstanders
    Acoustic Energy Evo Centre
    4 x Eltax HT2 bipolars

Thoughts please, then i can list in classifieds.

Thanks

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,412
    Start by searching Ebay for the items & them go to Advanced > Sold. That should give you an idea.

Selling in the classifieds may be problematic for a "new" member so worth contacting Admin to see if they can rescue & merge your old account. Try a PM to @LV426.

3. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for the advice, will do.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    The standard guideline is Half Price adjusted for age, condition, and desirability.

And Half Price mean half the actual selling price not the suggested retail price, and taking into consideration the price of the current equivalent equipment.

Then Desirability can be variable. Old AV Receivers have low desirability because AV technology is always changing. However, an Old Stereo Amp in good condition could be very desirable. There are Technics Direct Driver Turntables, as an example, that were selling for considerably more than their original cost. Or at least until Technics released new turntables.

Check Ebay and similar used equipment sites can give you some idea of the market.

Lastly we consider motivation. If you are desperate to sell, then the price goes down. In other circumstances, if you feel you have gotten your money's worth from the equipment, you can sell at a low price and pass the love on to the next person. However, if you are trying to maximize the return on the equipment, the price can be a little higher, and that means the time frame to sell could be a little longer.

There is a limit to how high the price can be. Once it gets up around 70% to 80%, the incentive becomes much stronger to cough up the extra cash and buy New, and get full dealer support and full manufacturer's warranty. That means at most you might be able to sell for 60% unless the product can command a premium, and I don't thing your equipment can.

In general, your equipment has reasonable desirability. All good brands with a good reputations. Though generally not equipment demanding a premium resale price.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Rich B

Rich B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, Steve/RBZ, didnt realise i could look at sold prices on ebay.
    I think ive got an idea of prices now, Ill post a bundle price in the classified on here and see what happens.