• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Selling Topfield - Which Freeview receiver?

Seph23

Established Member
A friend has offered to buy my Topfield 5800 off me which im pleased to sell as I cannot stand the thing.
My main issue is the sluggish and ugle EPG.

I previously had gone from a cheap supermarket freeview box which had quite a pretty and quick EPG to what I was expecting quite top of the range freeview box being complete opposite.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a freeview box which has a very pretty EPG and quite fast to navigate?
If the guide looked something similar to the Sky EPG that would be even better.

I do not need PVR functions :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Why don't you install the My Stuff Tap on the Toppy ?

brookheather

Distinguished Member
I would recommend the Humax HD FOX-T2 receiver - works very well (very fast GUI) and if you change your mind about recording you can plug in a USB hard drive and record from a single tuner while watching another channel on the same mux.

HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

- Simon.

Seph23

Established Member
Why don't you install the My Stuff Tap on the Toppy ?

How does it compare to the standard EPG etc?
I will try and find some youtube videos when I get home later

I would recommend the Humax HD FOX-T2 receiver - works very well (very fast GUI) and if you change your mind about recording you can plug in a USB hard drive and record from a single tuner while watching another channel on the same mux.

HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

- Simon.

Thanks, I'll look into this one.

toodeep

Prominent Member
A friend has offered to buy my Topfield 5800 off me which im pleased to sell as I cannot stand the thing.
The Toppy is the best receiver on the market exactly because it can be so very much and powerfully configured to do what each user wants: why would you own a 5800 in the first place and not do this?

Seph23

Established Member
^^ I think it's because when I tried configuring my toppy, tried installing a tap but couldn't get my pc (win7 x64) to recognise the receiver :(

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
^^ I think it's because when I tried configuring my toppy, tried installing a tap but couldn't get my pc (win7 x64) to recognise the receiver :(

There is drivers for 64 bit OS on the toppy.org site.

Seph23

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll give it another try this evening.
Before I do, is there anything I should know/install before I begin?
Bare in mind my unit also is likely to have stock firmware..... Will upgrading to the latest prevent me from installing a tap etc?

Thanks again,

Seph23

Established Member
thanks for that.

Im REALLY struggling to get windows to recognise the toppy, I simply cannot get a driver at all :(

I've downloaded an x64 version of the firmware loader, but theres no driver with this.
Ive found a few threads on the website suggesting mixing and matching files but still no joy.

Does anyone know for a single file download which contains the Win7 x64 driver?

Seph23

Established Member
this is a real sad state of affairs... I have also setup windows xp mode on my Win7 pc and it wont recognise anything usb plugged in, well the topfield anyway :(
No balloons pop up, nothing to say ive plugged something in and nothing to attach to USB from the menu.

Willsywoo

Standard Member
Maybe not the best solution but have you got a pal with a windows 32bit pc you could pop round and install it with his?

Great thread! Am now looking to get a toppy :thumbsup:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Maybe not the best solution but have you got a pal with a windows 32bit pc you could pop round and install it with his?

Great thread! Am now looking to get a toppy :thumbsup:

Win 7 32 bit works fine with my Toppy. Must admit not tried it with a 64 bit OS. If only they would come up with a model with a dvb-t2 tuner :lease:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
this is a real sad state of affairs... I have also setup windows xp mode on my Win7 pc and it wont recognise anything usb plugged in, well the topfield anyway :(
No balloons pop up, nothing to say ive plugged something in and nothing to attach to USB from the menu.

Try switching the toppy on after the usb has been connected. Go to Control Panel and open Device Manager. Check the list to see if the Toppy is listed (Topfield USB Device). If it is run Altair. The Toppie's files and folders should be on the left hand pane.

Seph23

Established Member
Try switching the toppy on after the usb has been connected. Go to Control Panel and open Device Manager. Check the list to see if the Toppy is listed (Topfield USB Device). If it is run Altair. The Toppie's files and folders should be on the left hand pane.

just the standard "!" over an unidentified driver.
Tried so many things last night :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom