Selling plasma TV.

Just to stress, I'm not actually selling my TV. At least not yet.
What I've been wondering lately is, is there any kind of service or business which buys plasma TVs?

Basically, I'm thinking of going for an LED TV, possibly this one, but instead of passing my plasma on to my mum and still having to deal with it dying at some point, I was hoping there was some kind of business or service which buys your "old" plasma TVs.

My TV is a Panasonic 50" TXP50G10B.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Ouch!
Wasn't expecting it to be that low.
And what's a "raised mll"?
The 10 series had a issue where at 1000 hrs the MLL or the black level would get worse. This didn't just stop there throughout its life the black level would get worse.
Was quite a hot topic for a while after. Panasonic's stance was this was within spec and they were designed to do this.
Along with rise in mll, image retention also starts to get worse.

Myself and some other members here had a bit of bother getting retailers to do something about this. In my case I got a exchange but nearly had to take Dixons to court.

I've had mine for almost 5 years now, and I've only had one problem, which was covered by the Richer Sounds extended warranty(replaced an HDMI port which stopped working), but other than that there's nothing wrong.

redaprilia

G10 series was actually quite good ( last of the non 3D tv's ) However the 2013 e6 was not well received as the maker fitted a LCD screen from a 3rd party which was not 3D ( perhaps of no interest to the OP ) but as it was non ips so I found it to be low contrast , poor side on viewing angle you had to go to the ET or DT to correct this . This situation has been repeated in the 2014 range with the 600 range having the "value" screen and the 650 being ips .

You would do very well to find a buyer willing to pay £200 though for your G10

Siochain

G10 series was actually quite good ( last of the non 3D tv's ) However the 2013 e6 was not well received as the maker fitted a LCD screen from a 3rd party which was not 3D ( perhaps of no interest to the OP ) but as it was non ips so I found it to be low contrast , poor side on viewing angle you had to go to the ET or DT to correct this . This situation has been repeated in the 2014 range with the 600 range having the "value" screen and the 650 being ips .

You would do very well to find a buyer willing to pay £200 though for your G10
Viewing angles are definitely a strength of IPS panels but good native Contrast ratio performance is not one of it's strong points.

The VA panel in the E6 granted it an impressive native contrast ratio (for an LCD) Far more capable in that regard than any IPS panels. I find it strange you found the E6 lacking in CR compared to the IPS based ET & DT.

Personally speaking black level performance is very important to myself, more so than viewing angles. Luckily for myself PDP provides both. Such a shame to see Panasonic cease PDP production.

@The op, as others have said you're unlikely to get much for your G10. If it hasn't suffered the MLL rise it's still a very good Plasma and you would be better off keeping it imo.

Thanks.
The only thing that's bugging me is a fuzzy look in the dark blacks when playing on my Xbox One/360 and using the better Game mode setting.
Game mode has a more crisp picture, and better contrast and colour, but the fuzzy/static grainy-ness in the dark blacks is rather annoying, and I'm sure only an issue as it's a plasma.

And another thing, when the TV does become out dated, I'll be hard pressed to get anything for it when trying to get rid of it.

As I said before, I'm not looking to get rid of it any time soon.

redaprilia

When these model were on display in shops E6 was milky whereas ET6 or 60 was punchy with quite good blacks . Can't think what you have been seeing in thinking the ips panels don't have good contrast ?

Siochain

When these model were on display in shops E6 was milky whereas ET6 or 60 was punchy with quite good blacks .?
I don't judge Displays in "shops" particulary LCD's. I've viewed ET60 in the home enviroment. It's native black levels are weak. I don't consider a black level of 0.12 cd/m2 with ANSI contrast figure of just under 1000:1 to be good. AVF ET60 Review

The E6 Has native black levels measured at 0.0268 cd/m2. HDTVT E6 Review That's considerably darker black levels.

The ET60 maybe one of the better IPS panels in terms of native CR but IPS panels (both monitors and Tv's) really struggle to achieve Ansi over 1000:1 which is poor.
Can't think what you have been seeing in thinking the ips panels don't have good contrast
Having owned a number of IPS displays, though admitingly predominately monitors, I'm more than aware of IPS poor CR performance. IPS has a number of benefits but decent CR is not one of them. Unless you consider a Native CR of 1000:1 good. Personally I don't.

The ET60 was no better than my own Viewsonic IPS VP2770 monitor in terms of black levels Despite the monitor having no polarizer to eliminate IPS glow. IPS is renowned for weak CR so I Can't think what you have been seeing in thinking the IPS panels have good contrast :)

Anyway I've gone offtopic and the mods will have me. Use your google-fu on the different LCD panels types and any half decent review site will state that good CR is one of IPS weaknesses in comparison to other LCD types (excluding TN)

Ossie77

It will be interesting to see how the AS640 performs. All of the Panasonic LED's above this model have an IPS panel (which everyone knows have poor black levels/contrast...surely?!). The AS640 is '1200HZ' (?!) so if it has good motion performance and a similar panel to the E6 it could be a genuine competitor to the Sony W829. It also comes in a 48" screen which sounds cool.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom