Selling on Ebay with ZERO feedback?

Deleted member 725346

Reaction score
Quick feedback wanted from those that use Ebay here please.

I have an item I'd like to sell (Pioneer Kuro) and as I'm not having much luck so far on here I was tempted to create an Ebay account.

However I'd have no feedback at all, would that hamper me in some way? I appreciate everyone needs to get started somewhere but is it likely I'd be wasting my time?

Also any advice or tips if I go the ebay route? I would want collection, but can I specify cash? What if the buyer inisists on Paypal, can I refuse? If the buyer paid cash on collection does that mean I could potentially not pay the ebay fees?

Lastly Auction or buyitnow?

Sorry for the 100 questions but any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
One thing you could do in regards to the feedback is buy a few cheapo items and get the feedback from the sellers. Anyone looking into will spot what has happened but it would get your feedback score up at a glance.

You can specify cash on collection and not have any other payment methods. It's actually better because if they collect and use PayPal, they could do a chargeback to say they didn't get the item.

No way of dodging the eBay fees.

I'm not sure what your sale price is likely to be but I would put it on Buy It Now and maybe have the Best Offer feature if you are willing to go down a little bit so buyers can submit their offer to you.

You have to start somewhere. A Cash on Collection Sale has to be about as safe as it gets. And if it sells for a reasonable amount you have one cast in stone good feedback.

Worth joining eBay anyway just to see what promotional emails they send you. I'm currently on a 50% off all fees period, they may well send you something similar to start you selling

I would try Gumtree first cash on collection.With a TV your unwise to ship it so a local buyer from Gumtree would be a better option as there are no ebay/paypal fees.

Why don't you just try? There is only the listing fees to lose.

Would you be listing as an aution, with a reserve, or buy it now? Using a reserve or buy it now will increase you listing fees but removes the risk of it selling for a silly low price.

The real restriction is that I suspect you are thinking collect only which will limit the buyer market.

But collection-only would also mitigate your lack of feedback because a potential buyer will be seeing the item in the flesh, that it works and only pay once happy.

BTW - if collection only, do not accept Paypal payment. If you must make sure you create some signed reciepts and maybe photo/videos of the transaction as evidence that the transaction was completed.

Cheers,

Nigel

You have to start somewhere. A Cash on Collection Sale has to be about as safe as it gets. And if it sells for a reasonable amount you have one cast in stone good feedback.

I agree with this - as there's so many scammers selling hifi stuff etc (highjacked accounts etc) and normally the first thing a potential buyer will ask is if you accept cash on collection - and if that's not an option people won't be interested and will report you... simple as... :(

Cheers for the all the replies, it's been helpful.

With regards to suggestions of gumtree, I've already listed on gumtree and my advert has had 3 views according to the stats. As it was posted a few days ago my advert has dropped right down too.

I have the option of paying to have my advert "featured" or "urgent" but I'm not willing to pay to use gumtree at this stage.

You can use a trading assistant.

They will obviously charge a fee or take higher commission but it's an option.

Hiring a Trading Assistant - How it Works

That's interesting. Have you got personal experience of that?

Have they got a good success rate? I guess the item itself also plays a part in how likely you are to sell regardless.

Also what are the implications of using a trading assistant when the item is collection as the link mentions:

The Trading Assistant will collect payment from the buyer, deduct any fees you owe, and pass the rest on to you. Check with your Trading Assistant ahead of time to determine how and when you will receive the money.
s.gif

edit: Think I may have found the answer to my own question. It also states (just above):

Once you drop off the item (or have it picked up), your work is done! The Trading Assistant will list the item for sale on eBay, answer questions from buyers, collect payment, and ship or deliver the item to the buyer if it sells. If the item does not sell, the Trading Assistant will return it to you. Some Trading Assistants also offer to donate unsold items to charity

So I'd have to potentially drop off, which isn't an option as the items are too large to fit in my car. Or get it collected which I imagine there would be a charge, that would likely not be refunded to me if it doesn't sell.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
When do eBay actually charge listing fees nowadays? I've not been charged any for years, just selling fees?

When do eBay actually charge listing fees nowadays? I've not been charged any for years, just selling fees?
You get so many per month for free. Only once you go above this will you be charged a listing fee. Not sure how many you get for free though.

That's interesting. Have you got personal experience of that?
Sorry, I haven't. I started using eBay years ago for both buying and selling so have built up feedback.

With regards to your initial comment about not having much luck on here selling, have you taken into account the disparity between what you want to sell it for and what people may want to pay?

With regards to your initial comment about not having much luck on here selling, have you taken into account the disparity between what you want to sell it for and what people may want to pay?

I certainly have. I've lowered the price to £250 for a 50" Kuro, the official Pioneer floating stand, and the undermount speaker.

I appreciate what you're saying, and you're right as most times if something doesn't sell it's often down to price more times than not.

If the above doesn't sell for that I'd rather give it to a family member than lower it anymore.

I feel everything I sell is always priced at the bottom of the market though, I always look at what previous items have sold for on here and pitch them lower. For example I sold an oled I had purchased for £2000 for half price when that particular model was only months old.

Sold ipads and iphones well below market price etc

Worth joining eBay anyway just to see what promotional emails they send you. I'm currently on a 50% off all fees period, they may well send you something similar to start you selling
Definitely this. My wife has started selling stuff on Ebay and I didn't want her to contaminate my account (almost 3000+ve since 2000). She set up her own...she got £10 off her first purchase over £20, and then a £25 voucher off anything once she completed her first sale.

So £35 for nothing :)

i saw your advert and it's a great price. too far for collection for me, though (yorkshire)

It also seems many sellers are asking buyers to claim the sale has not been completed . This saves final listing fees.

I do not care if a person has zero or a trillion feedback . I am collecting only and selling collection only. Both parties happy and if I get offered a good price .I remove the advert .
eBay is too greedy these days . Sell on your terms only . Never accept PayPal and try to sell "off auction"

Make it clear in your adverts that is how you are prepared to sell . It works well . Everyone is happy .

I am collecting only and selling collection only.

Regardless of where I sell I always prefer to deal in person. It ends up removing many complications in the future.

One common issue that occurs time and time again is with regards to condition, item not as described, or faults.

A quick look on the disputed forums here will show that most of the issues (aside froms scammers not sending the goods) relate to buyers bringing up issues with the item not being as described.

By dealing in person it avoids all of that, and as a buyer I would always prefer to collect so I can be fully satisfied an item is as described before parting with money.

The only drawback with my insistence on dealing in person is it limits my potential buyers.

With your point regarding feedback, I agree to a certain extent that the number of feedback is irrelevant, however I do look at what the feedback relates to.

As I've said before I'd feel more comfortable buying an expensive item from someone with a feedback of 5 but has sold expensive projectors, oled tvs etc than someone with 300 feedback selling dvds. But ultimately as I collect items the feedback won't be a determining factor as to whether I buy it in the end.

i saw your advert and it's a great price. too far for collection for me, though (yorkshire)

Thanks, I was almost tempted to lower it further in the hope of a quick sale, but I don't think the price is the issue at the current price point.

I'd assume that anyone potentially interested would make an offer if price was really the stumbling block.

Last edited:
Regarding gumtree you can keep deleting and recreating your ad to bump it up. I know it's a bit of a palava but I copy my ad text to a word document and just copy and paste it each time a recreate it.

@safcalibur. I didn't even think of that cheers.

I'll delete and reupload with my new "bargain" price of £200 quid :D

£175 for 50" Kuro? Man I wish I knew about it sooner and you were a bit closer. Sounds like a bargain to me :)

Not just the kuro, the undermount speaker plus official floating stand. :D

Not just the kuro, the undermount speaker plus official floating stand. :D
Damn. Bargain of the century :) I wouldn't mind replacing my Kuro 428 with the 508. Especially for that price. Though you are way too far for me to drive there and pick it up anyway. I'll keep an eye for something similar closer though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom