Selling on amazon, any experiences?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by enablerbro1, Jan 3, 2007.

1. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Just looking at their Marketplace and they charge 86p + 17.5% of the selling price. They also charge the buyer for P&P, take a "commission" and then pass the rest of the P&P to your account. Is it as bad a deal as it sounds?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Wrong place for this...moving to GC.

3. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    depends what you are selling. If you have something which amazon are selling for a very high price which you can undercut and still make a good markup then it is worth it.

4. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I think it is. I bought a cd recently on there as it was very cheap. The seller mistakenly included part of the receipt he had received from Amazon. I'd paid something like four pounds all in and he received just over two :eek: from which he had then had to pay postage and packing. It was quite a new cd and I could not believe he had sold it for such a pittance.

5. OldAndSenile

OldAndSenile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I've used it before and whilst the fees are pretty high, there are some benefits over e-bay...

There's no Paypal rubbish - if there is a dispute over payment (and I've had some!), then Amazon resolve it all for you. Also, payment is made up-front, so the chance of being scammed (as a seller) is less.

The item appears whenever anyone searches for the Amazon equivalent of your product, too, so you find you get a lot more hits on you item than you would on ebay. I found that most stuff I put up there would sell within a week, even though they agree to keep it up on sale for 6 months.

All in all, it's easier to sell stuff, but you get less for doing it.

6. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    That seems to be a post against selling on amazon. :confused:

7. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I was thinking of selling some CDs and maybe some books. SOme of the CDs you can't get anymore, likewise the books. Not that they'll be worth much. I do wonder how someone selling a book for 1p is making any money out of the sale. Unless they have access to free postage and can pocket the postage charge.

8. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Which may just be enough of a sellig point for me.

:)

9. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Yeah, wasn't quite sure where to put it so opted for music sales. Had replys now it's in General.

:)

10. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well yes I personally think the fees are very steep, especially for selling a few small value items as you indicate. If you sell a cd for £3.50 you pay 86p +61p (17.5%). You get £1.24 postage credit of which they take 28p. The buyer has paid a total of £4.74 but you only see £2.99 and have to pay for a jiffy bag and stamp out of that. They have taken 37%.
    If you sell a cd for £6 you see £5.05 of the £7.24 the buyer pays, they have taken 30%.
    If you sell a cd for £10 you see £8.35 of the £11.24 the buyer pays, they have taken 26%.
    It is certainly more than ebay but if you are willing to accept that for less hastle that is your call. I certainly dont see why they are entitled to such a large cut of the postage, a small fee to cover the cost of processing the payment is one thing but not over 20%.
    There are different rates for merchants who sell a higher number of items. I expect these are more favourable and what a lot of the listings are.

11. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529

I guess someone works in the mailroom of a company. :rolleyes:

12. enablerbro1

enablerbro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I was thinking that they might have another business with some sort of postage contract where they pay a monthly amount regardless of what they post. Do such things exist? Ihave no idea but I've bought books for 1p quite a few times and it's the only way I can see that they make any money.

13. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You can pay a "Pro-Merchant" fee of £25+VAT per month and the 86p is not levied.

So if you sell *lots* of items at low value it makes more sense.

If you're just clearing out a few old books & CDs it's probably not worth it unless they're of relatively high value.

Also, the postage charges passed on are fixed. DVD box sets are charged at the same rate as a single DVD. Large heavy hardbacks are charged at the same rate as a paperback pamphlet. So unless you're really careful you can lose out on the P+P as well!