Selling my setup

topgazza

Distinguished Member
So my camera is not being used. in fact I use my iPhone 12 Pro more. So I will be looking to sell here or trade with MPB

Olympus OMD- E M10II
Olympus 12-40 2.8 PRO
Olympus 75 - 300 4.8-6.7II
Olympus 60mm 2.8 Macro
Sony RX100 Mk1

I've been offered over £1100 by MPB and I'll buy a RX100 MK VI and get £271 change

Here's the question. For between £800-1000 I want a decent single lens camera. My RX100 is quite superb and the VII has a zoom to 200 and that will do. But are there any better single lens, easy to carry cameras around that beat the Sony. I don't see any but I'm happy to be advised otherwise please

AMc

Distinguished Member
I assume you're getting rid of the M43 kit because you don't want to carry it all ?
If you just wanted to consolidate to a single lens then either the 12-100mm F4 PRO or the cheaper 12-200mm from Olympus would cover most what you have in one small camera bag/case but obviously a lot bigger than the RX100.

I have basically the same Olympus kit as you bar the macro lens. I used to carry a Fuji XF1 in my jacket when I wasn't carrying the Olympus - it rattled around in my pocket for 2 years. I took a handful of shots then it died with a lens error. I think life in my pocket did for it so I decided I'd either take my "proper camera" or use my phone.

I think you're likely come up against the classic cost/size/quality conundrum, sorry I can't recommend a great all purpose tiny camera - the Sony RX range is definitely widely recommended.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that. I'm in exactly the same boat. I would probably stick to the 12-40 PRO as a lens. It's so sharp that cropping is effortless. I know the Sony will do a great job as I have the Mk1 and like you I find myself using my phone a lot more with great results. Arguably the compact is dead as a dodo because of the quality of the iPhone and others now
I've been through this before and I suspect we all have. I think the shame is my love for creating photos has been severely diminished over the past 2 years for obvious reasons. I don't want to "panic" and sell my excellent gear and then regret it. But sadly I don't think I will and I could always dip back in again. I do like Olympus
Need a bit more thought but I may try the classifieds first so forum members at least get a bite first if they want

AMc

Distinguished Member
TBH Since I added the 12-40 PRO to the E0M10ii I have barely used another lens.
The 17mm F1.8 for indoors and night - and because it's tiny.

Unfortunately watching how OM Systems are going I don't see them updating the E-M10 line - so at some point I may be forced to go for a bigger, more expensive body to keep my lenses.

For whatever reason I just don't get the same feeling from using my iPhone so I'm definitely keeping my camera but I can't justify a compact even though I do sometimes feel an itch to try an RX100iii

topgazza

Distinguished Member
The Sony RX100 VI has an up to 200mm zoom and viewfinder and that sweet 1" sensor so covers a few bases. But it is £600 ish second hand. As a camera the RX100 takes beautifully detailed photos with great colours and a mean video if that's your thing.

I found myself just leaving the 12-40 on as well. I am reluctant to sell to be honest as I've already invested so much in it. I have looked at newer bodies as well but as you say they are bigger. One of the main advantages of the OMD EM10ii is the small body. Crazy when you consider the quality of the photos.

I need to get my mojo back for picture taking though

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Made an executive decision. That is my one man board of directors decided to keep the 12-40 as its such an exquisite lens and the OM-D.

But sell the telephoto and macro as I don't use them much and the RX100 to MPB
I then owe them £124 for a second hand RX100 MK VI which has long been something I've wanted anyway. Then I just have to get out and take some pictures

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

The Rx's are a great little camera but it's still a small sensor. My drone has the same size. A 1" can make good pics but they won't be as good as you've hopefully got from your Olympus. That said I'm not sure there are many alternatives, but may be worth checking the features of the older models and seeing if you can save some money.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I use the RX as my pocket camera when the iPhone doesn't quite do it. The Mk VI has a nice zoom to 200mm and a viewfinder so sunny days are covered. I agree about older cameras. Sometimes they have the features you want rather than lots of WiFi to Facebook type features

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Don’t get me wrong they’re great, I’ve had several. Glad you’ve got one so you won’t sell then be shocked.

AMc

Distinguished Member
The E-M10 is (almost) as small as you can get with a 4/3rds sensor and a fairly recent body.
The Panasonic GM 1 is smaller, perhaps the smallest 4/3rds body but it's 9 years old.

I lined them up - the RX100VII isn't that much smaller really but when it comes to putting things in a pocket the lens bump and the viewfinder make it impossible to pocket the M10.

I was (momentarily) tempted by the Xperia Pro with a 1" sensor until I read the lens only overs part of the sensor ... :facepalm:

MaryWhitehouse

topgazza

Distinguished Member
RX1 is very nice.

I use my iPhone 12 Pro Max when I'm out and about but carry my RX100 as well if in London or Oxford. Sometimes I forget I even have the RX100 and end up with some beautiful photos on the iPhone

The Oly will be coming out on walks and specific trips as I use a shoulder man bag anyway it fits nicely in there

MaryWhitehouse

It’s just an itch I need to scratch. No really good reason!
I use my iPhone a lot too but if I’m specifically taking pics it’s the 1dx every time. Got a new (to me) macro lens today which I’m trying out after having to sell previous one at Christmas.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I love taking macro shots. Spend sages setting up with tripod and remote and have , IMO, some lovely macros of insects and "industrial" shots. But the 60mm Oy macro is very good but has a very short focal range. I used to use a 105mm lens on my Sony A77 and that was quite superb.
Its the one thing I'll miss a bit

MaryWhitehouse

Me too but prefer freehand outside mainly. Did have the Canon 100 L but just got the 180 Tamron. Wish me luck!

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Freehand for me as well. But we have a very busy bush that attracts lots of insects. I can set up a tripod focussed on one flower and get multiple shots and insects most days. My 105 was a Tamron. Good lens
I might look at a tele Olympus if faster speed for macro than the 75-300 I had

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
That’s hilarious. Only little one I have an itch to try is the rx1.
I bought an RX1r a few years ago as I always liked the idea of it and I've had a lot of great photos out of it, some parts of are very dated but the lens and sensor are still good plus it's still small even compared to an A7C and a prime. It's just small enough to fit into a bike backpack I have and it's taken some brilliant low light photos at night far ahead of what a phone or an RX100 could manage.

I do go hot and cold on the RX1 though because while it's small compared to other FF cameras the lens is still large and limits its portability while at times the dated specs like the slow AF, no IS, no wireless transfer etc. can be irritating. The aperture ring on mine is slightly faulty so I've been wondering about getting a hold of another. I was at a wedding recently not as the official photographer but my friend had asked me to try and get some shots especially in the evening which I mainly used the little RX1 for. Its small size meant no one even noticed it and as usual it handled the low light conditions well unlike most of the phone shots which were awful.

With regards to the opening post though the 35mm lens is limiting against a standard RX100 and obviously much less flexible than the longer range RX100's. I have been tempted to try one of the newer RX100's after being a big fan of the mk1 and 4 but I've had so many wasted lens and camera purchases I'm a lot more wary of buying new cameras/lenses now.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Interesting John
I’ve come to a similar conclusion. My RX100 VI arrives tomorrow with it viewfinder and that 200 mm max zoom. Looking forward to it

MaryWhitehouse

I bought an RX1r a few years ago as I always liked the idea of it

Thanks that’s really useful. I wouldn’t expect to use it a lot but if it could help make pics in a few places where I can’t easily carry a big camera it would be useful.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Interesting John
I’ve come to a similar conclusion. My RX100 VI arrives tomorrow with it viewfinder and that 200 mm max zoom. Looking forward to it
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it as I'm still a bit tempted to have one just to keep in a pocket with me all the time.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Its all that I thought it would be. Same HQ photos as my RX100 Mk1 and that additional zoom to 200mm is just a bit more to make it worthwhile. The viewfinder will be useful on bright sunny days and is pretty good quality. Throw in the articulating screen, which I doubt I'll use very much, and the VI is well worth it. Perfect pocket camera.

I found my Mk1 ideal for those trips in town or where I didn't want any gear, however compact like the OM-D M10. Happy bunny

MaryWhitehouse

Brilliant. That’s really good. Articulating screens are more useful than you’d think for composition.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Thats what everyone tells me. I don't use the one much on my Olly but I suspect that's not really appreciating the situations where it would be useful.

Just trying it and its a major benefit when taking low level shots. Saves you stressing the old knees or lying in the wet. I can see me using this more

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

Perfect. Up high and if needed the flipping the photo is useful too. And round corners ;)

AMc

Distinguished Member
The only thing I miss from my Olympus E-PL5 when moving to the M10 is that you could flip the screen right up to shoot selfies.
I do that very rarely on family holidays - to prove I was there in at least one picture - but it's surprisingly difficult to do with the camera or even using the phone app to remote control.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV