Selling MCE 2005 on AvForums

are you allowed to sell genuine computer software in the trading forums?
just i have a copy of MCE2005 bought from mediapc.tv that i know no longer need.

unactivated?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
cantona.no7 said:
unactivated?
If you have already had it installed on a pc and gone through the windows activation process, it will be linked to that particular pc's hardware - there may be a workaround, not too sure.

i installed it over a month ago on my HTPC and then last night on my old laptop just to see if it was powerful enough to run it and it worked with no problem so i have it on two different machines both work fine.

evolution400

cantona.no7 said:
i installed it over a month ago on my HTPC and then last night on my old laptop just to see if it was powerful enough to run it and it worked with no problem so i have it on two different machines both work fine.
Did you just use the trial of 30 days ?
If you actually went through the activation process where it asks you how do you want to activate over the internet or call etc if you did activate over the internet then it is assosiated with that PC.

what parts does it link to in the computer? i.e mobo, ram, cpu etc?

Embarker

Even if it has been "activated" so long as it not on another machine, you can phone through and get it "unlocked".I just said i've changed the hardrive as the other one failed.

Some buyer may still be a bit wary though, if the sticker is still on the packaging this would help you.

Reggit

To be pedantic, XP MCE is only available as OEM software, therefore according to the license conditions, it can only be used on one computer ...ever:thumbsdow . It is not transferable from one machine to another even if it is removed from the first.

At least that is my understanding of it.

Well it is OEM so is illegal to sell it unless buying a qualifying piece of hardware for your PC with it..., a thread like yours was closed for this reason...

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Microsoft knows full well that people are buying the OEM MCE 2005, and they don't care - as long as they are buying it!

The biggest advantage of doing this for them is that they don't have to offer any support for people trying to install/upgrade. They can say it's a problem for OEMs only.

It won't be long before we have Vista and everybody can have a chance to play with Media Center.

abraxus

Novice Member
Stiggy said:
It won't be long before we have Vista and everybody can have a chance to play with Media Center.

So will I be able to buy Vista, install it on my 2 pc's and then sell it on? :D

Embarker

i've have over 6 pc's that run mce and often change hard drives, mobo's etc.

Have never had an issue with "re-installing" in fact 9/10 times if you say "yes to register and activate then skip on the nxt page is just auto activates.

If you want to sell the MCE then sell it with a stick of sdram memory or any old piece of redundant computer part, or sell the part and give the MCE away free:cool:

Am sure that once Vista is out "officially" there will be a few mce disks for sale on fleabay.

Failing that flog it to a family member/mate or birthday present.

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
meansizzler said:
Well it is OEM so is illegal to sell it unless buying a qualifying piece of hardware for your PC with it..., a thread like yours was closed for this reason...
It's not actually illegal just in breach of reseller agreement with Microsoft for a distributer to sell OEM software without qualifying hardware. For a private individual selling on there is no agreeement with Microsoft & hence you can sell or give away any way you like. You bought it. You own it. You can do what you like with it.

jaymz

Novice Member

fraggle

jaymz said:
I do not think you actually own it, you actually own the CD and have the right to use the software.

In a corpotate environment i can not sell MS licenses, unless i provide the orignal hardware that it came with. I was told this by a Microsoft corporate account manager and i believe it is in the EULA.

However it is illegal to sell something you do not own.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#08
He wouldn't be selling something he doesn't own, he's selling the media the software he's "renting" came on.

Since the "right to use" software is non-transferable he can't sell that, he's just got rid of his ability to re-install the software if he needs to.

If the buyer of the CD installed it they would be in trouble for using software without a license agreement.

In other words he could sell the CD but the buyer wouldn't be able to use the software on it, they could use it as a coffee cup place mat, a microwave experiment, something to dangle from the rear view mirror (if they're stupid!), etc... :D

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
I was actually thinking of the case of software still in the shrink-wrapped. You can buy that with qualifying hardware but you can sell it on to whoever you like or give it away whatever.

jaymz

Novice Member
Fragle so we are in agreement :smashin:

fraggle

nigelbb said:
I was actually thinking of the case of software still in the shrink-wrapped. You can buy that with qualifying hardware but you can sell it on to whoever you like or give it away whatever.
But it can't be shrinkwrapped? You said you've installed it on two different PCs "just to see", so its been opened.

Basically, you know when you install it, it asks for the key thats printed on the label, yes?

And then when its almost finished installing it asks you if you want to "register windows"?

*IF* you said yes you want to register windows, the software is now locked to a particular PC (network MAC ID, BIOS checksum, etc, etc). It will let you install & register it on new hardware 3 times (I think) and then if you try again it won't let you register it again, you have to phone MS and explain why your hardware appears to be changing so frequently, and why you're reinstalling it so many times.

So if you're registered it, you're stuffed, its not worth a lot, if you haven't registered it I'd say you can sell if for whatever the second hand going rate for MCE is.
(but the mods will know better than me what the situation is with regards to it being an OEM product and all that waffle)

Repo

Just because it's in the EULA, it doesn't mean that it's either legal and/or enforcable. If you want to sell a copy of MCE then all you really need is to ship the COA with it IMHO; Micro$haft may well not agree with this opinion but that doesn't make it illegal.

trifin

Novice Member
yes i beleive that many parts of the EULA are not applicable outside of us.

I read about this; backrupt companies & scrapped pcs; in USA you cannot resell the xp licence however in Europe you can (as long as the pc has been scrapped). What is actually happening is companies in europe are buying up brankrupt pcs and then selling just the xp licence for profit but under the cost of a new xp licence. It is currently the cheapeast way of obtaining a LEGAL xp licence. This REALLY annoys MS.

Personally I always buy my software but I really don't care for ridiculous profits some companies make and the awful EULA they pretend are legally binding!!!

id like my own EULA that says when I buy something I own it. I thought that was the deal with buying things...

fraggle

Repo said:
Just because it's in the EULA, it doesn't mean that it's either legal and/or enforcable. If you want to sell a copy of MCE then all you really need is to ship the COA with it IMHO; Micro$haft may well not agree with this opinion but that doesn't make it illegal.
From a legal point of view I agree with you, *but* Microsoft control the "Windows Update" process and the registration process.

If you've bought a copy of MCE that refuses to install cause its been previously registered, phoning MS will be as much use a a chocolate teapot.

It doesn't matter what the legal standpoint is, if it won't install, or the update process (essential nowadays) doesn't work its unfortunately not much use is it?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett