1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling grey walls to the woman...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stinja, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    We've finally jumped on the property ladder, and hence the oppertunity to make my temporary PJ arragements more permanant has come up.

Now as i understand it painting your walls black (not a wife-friendly option :nono: ) or grey means you should get less incidental reflected light bouncing about, while being neutral w.r.t. changing the hue of light going back onto the screen, and thus a better HC experience. So i've said i dont mind what she does elsewhere, if i get say over the lounge. She's said no to black, and looked very dubious to grey until i clicked into "lawrence lewyn-bowen mode" (sp?) and drudged up the more PC sounding name of "mushroom", to which she has agreed in principle.

Thing is it seems grey isnt very popular at all, so what have others used? Are there better terms to describe dark-grey? or some waffly colour-chart word? Lastly what about ceiling and flooring? as i dont know if anything but white for the ceiling would go down well...

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any reasonably dark matt colour will do, tbh, the grey suggestion comes from a Kodak colour which doesn't create any colouration in light reflected back onto the screen - do a search from this in Gary Lightfoots posts. It's imprtant to go for a matt colour - really effective at reducing/eliminating reflections. My movie room is a mid - dark blue, B&Q bog standard mix, Mrs Ritz did the choosing quite happily, you could go for a dark red or dark green equally well - have a look at the "show us Yours" thread a few pages back for Godfather's set up, v. classy.

Sean.

3. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I presume you guys arent talking about projecting onto the wall directly, but about setting up the ideal environment? Any tips in regards colours for on the wall projection? Ive been told by self proclaimed "experts" that you dont need a PJ screen anymore??

Matt

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Matt,

Yip, talking about wall colour, not screens...........

... don't know who those experts were, but wouldn't necessarily agree........ if one had a wall painted with decent matt white emulsion (and the wall was well prepared, nice and smooth, then it should perform as a unity gain screen (throwing back the same amount of light that's projected onto it). A black/dark border would help greatly with image definition, but not all domestic environments can support a 7 ft wide white rectangle on the wall - in a dedicated room it's probably not an issue. Using Icestorm 5 or 6 (Dulux grey colours) have been recommended here often as a way to improve black performance, I tried it (and other paint mixes) during a fit of experimentation and found that, to my eyes, it deadened the colour performance.

I have a homemade blackout lining fixed screen, general regarded as being about unity gain or a little less, with variable masking for 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 material. Good quality commercially made screens I've seen in friends' set-ups seem brighter to me with a fair bit more "punch" to the image. When the time comes to replace my current screen I'll probably get some material from Harkness Hall or DRH as a replacement.

If circumstances don't permit a fixed screen or a retractable screen, I'm sure a white painted wall would do fine, but I wouldn't regard it as an optimal solution.

Sean.

5. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,523
    Matt - yep, talking about decorating the walls. The theory is that if you say have yellow walls, when you use your PJ there will be light reflected back from the screen to the walls, and back onto the screen (or your eyes), hence the colour you see will be tinted yellow (or whatever). Having black, or next best grey, walls should minimise this light distortion, as they are of a more neutral tone.

Has anyone thats gone from white/cream standard walls to darker ones actually noticed a difference? But if any flat-matt dark colour would work it should be an easier sell.

6. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great tips guys, thanks.

I used a blackout blind for projection before, but the heavy material was prone to creases and "waves". I found the wall (light yellow at that), to be less distracting as the it was quite flat and smooth.

Im planning on getting the Hitachi PJ-TX 100, but Im still of two minds on the idea of buying a screen or painting..

Matt

7. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Matt

You may want to talk to Nexnix about Goo-

I have used this in my new house, it costs £100.00 or so and has been very successful, and seems to maintain the 'punch' of the picture without reflecting too much back into the room.

FWIW, I painted the room in Dulux Vienna truffle 1 3 and 4

I also have an Owl electric screen, but haven't bothered putting it up since using the Goo. They also sell black border tape for framing the image if you want to

8. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Funny you should mention that, I was talking to them about buying a screen, but they said they didnt think it would survive the shipping to the wilds of Ireland. They suggested the Goo, Ive been reading up on it, think Im sold!

Nexnix said some people paint the wall with it, however everyone here appears to have painted wooden and stuck it to the wall. Which did you do?

Matt

9. rayb74

rayb74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run tx-100 straight onto a matt yellow wall great picture.
    any yellow/green /lightblue pastel colour should work fine . :)

Saying that you could project a tx-100 onto a brick wall and still get a good picture !! :p

10. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Straight onto the wall Matt

Helped by new walls in my house, stood over the plasterer when he was doing the house with a straightedge :devil:

I would say go for it, the only reason I didnt use a board was the above

The image continues to improve with time btw