1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling games on Ebay, what a con.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by UKbondraider, Oct 19, 2005.

1. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just sold a game in ebay for 23 quid. Am not an avid ebay seller so not familiar with costs.

Anyway, my invoice comes in for that 1 item at 1.96p. Coupled with paypal fees of about 1.50 that is nearly 3.50p to sell one game.

Anyone else think that ebay is a false economy?

I could of course try and hide these costs in P+P but to charge P+P at 6 quid instead of 2.50p for one game would be silly.

Anyway moan over.

On a side note, my keyboard doesnt seem to respond to the pound sign key. It instead types #. Anyone know how to change the # to the pound sign. It is getting annoying have to type the word. Can I change the settings? It is a logitech de novo cordless keyboard (the flat one)

2. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just try to cover some of my costs in postage on ebay, but yes they do make a lot of money out of seller, that why they are so sucessful. It's still better money to sell most games on ebay instead of trading in at a high street retailer.

As regards you keybaord, US keybaords have the # key where the £ symbol is, so maybe your keybaord is set to US not UK. What OS are you running? (Windows, OSX or Linux)

3. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Running Windows XP. Can I remap the keys? my @ and " characters are also in the wrong place

4. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If your @ and " are the wrong way round you are on US settings, I would tell you how to change them, but I am using OS X and Linux at the mo and don't have a Windows box at my disposal.

But off the top of the head, go "Start", "Control Panel", Select "Keyboard" or "Keyboad/Mouse" ( can't remeber for sure )
    And somewhere in there you can change your key mapping from US to "UK" or "British" ( again can't remember for sure )

Hope that helps

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That's why I only accept cheques, ebay fees are high enough!

6. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are rubbish I agree.

I sold something once and some foreign person used by it now, they had a dutch profile which was fine as I had said I would ship to europe but he asked me to ship to Nigeria and I had to give him the tracking number of the parcel before he would pay!!

Needless to say it would be a cold day in hell before I sent it and wrote to eBay who said I wouldn't have to pay the fees, then a few weeks later my eBay account got suspended as I had not paid them. :mad:

It took me ages to sort it out as they seem to take a week responding to bloody emails...

7. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I have suffered this too!!! Ebay has really gone down hill, in the last year I have expeirienced Fraud as a SELLER and BUYER and Ebay do not give a FLYING ####! When someone took my money but didn't post the goods from the USA I refused to pay any Ebay fees as they would not acknowledge my request for a refund/fradulent action. Eventually they put a credit collection agency on to me and threatened all sorts - many phone calls and letters later they backed down :D then the credit agency had the cheek to charge me fees for processing - I told them to get stuffed, they also backed down :D

BUT FOR SOME UKNOWN REASON I STILL USE EBAY TO BUY AND SELL :eek:

I bought a Dreamcast of a seller the other day, the posted to me in its original box, with no polystyrene or bubble wrap to protect it, suprisingly it arrived in one piece - but got have got to me in many bits :rolleyes:

Rant over...

Ebay is great for selling games :devil:

8. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    regards the keyboard settings - its in control panel regional settings. set to uk english instead of us english

9. UKbondraider

UKbondraider
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ :D

Cheers Cowden :thumbsup:

10. Kellogs

Kellogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate selling games on ebay. I sold a lot of my PS2 games that I didn't play anymore (all of which were in immaculate condition) and most of them only went for around £5. If I knew they would only sell for that much then I probably would have held on to them. Ebay fees are a joke too.

11. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have just sold loads of stuff on ebay, and yes there are fees, but if you were to go to Gamestation etc and ask for cash you would not get anywhere near as much as you do on ebay, even if you minus the fees!

The only thing i hate is when things don't go for as much as you would like! But then again I did get 51 quid for Ico!

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I often do sell on ebay for that very reason, you get a lot more than Game & Gamestation, although it is a bit more hassle.