Selling Cars - Honesty

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by michaelro, Jul 19, 2015.

1. michaelro

michaelro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Wasted few hours of my day today travelling 80 miles to see a car that wasnt anywhere near as clean as made out in advert or in the phonecall.
    No parcelshelf, jack or tools.
    Car covered in scratches, dent in bonnett that was badly touched up (despite being next door to a repair centre...) and similar on door.
    Alloys kerbed and scratched beyond belief, mine were better on a car 7 years older..
    Seriously just be honest and adjust the price...

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Yes couldn't agree more. Complete time wasters.

3. michaelro

michaelro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Was a small independent so more annoying. Didnt even bother driving the car.

4. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    I find buying a car the easy but, selling is a royal pain in the behind

5. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I once went all the way to Leeds to look at an Alfa 166 , spoke to the seller on the phone and was that convinced I'd be coming home in it I went on the train .

Got there and there was a big dent in the OSR door and a rust patch

I was furious , why didn't you mention that on the phone, I thought be negotiate on the price about that.

Straight back to the train station.

I'm the opposite , I once sold a 20 year old defender to a guy 150 miles away, I'd never driven another one but thought it was OK , even so I didn't want him coming all that way to be disappointed so I drove it up to him.

I could tell he was a genuine buyer so wasn't worried about him saying he didn't want it as long as it was how I'd described it.

Luckily he loved it

6. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I spotted a 2005 Range Rover Autobiography a few months back so rang the dealer and made an appointment to go and see it. Even better, there was a Mercedes E500 estate in a garage that would have been on my way home - 2 birds with one stone!

I followed the directions to the RR to a housing estate just outside London, then saw his sign and turned off the road to be confronted by a "sales office" that appeared to have been badly made from bits of an old conservatory and which was located right at the side of a massive rusty tin shed at the front of a scrapyard. I turned straight round and left!

So, next - the Merc. Well this was in a far better location but had one flat and one barely pumped up tyre, was covered in fine scratches and the interior looked like it had been home to a herd of pigs for a few days. I handed the key back to the proprietor, brushed off his protestations that it would be "like new once he'd had it valeted" and went home!

7. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,777
    Had this a few years back, wanted a particular spec and spent hours upon hours refreshing auto trader waiting for that elusive vehicle to become available... well it eventually did and I was on the phone to the dealer immediately, even catching him by surprise at the speed. We had a viewing over the phone where he walked around the vehicle and mentioned anything of note, as a result I decided to drive 200 miles to him as he promised to hold it for me till his end of business.

I pulled up onto his forecourt and found the car and what a sh*t hole it was, bald flat rear tyres, sticky interior complete with sick smell, broken glove compartment and a full length deep scratch down the entire length of the vehicle!! I could feel my blood pressure boiling as I walked to the sales office and asked him what the fudge he thought he was playing at, the clown told me the scratch must have happened between my phoning him and arriving and that he would be changing the tyres himself and would valet clean the vehicle :/ And, would I like a drive of it!!

Complete waste of time, effort and money! What annoyed me even more was later the same day another became available and it was located.... 3 miles away!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    It's as bad as looking for a job - they are your greatest friend until you are no use to them.

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    TBH, I find digital photography has made long distance buying of cars/bikes much easier.
    I insist the seller sends me umpteen detailed photographs, which they are always keen enough to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    This ^

I recently bought an Audi TT from Abredeen. I live 450 miles away. I asked the seller for loads of pictures (interior and exterior) in detail and close ups. I also asked for pictures of all documentation, including V5 logbook.
    He also gave me details of the dealer he bought it from so I could verify provenance. This also verified the service history and any recalls it had or should have had.

This I would ask, regardless of budget (the TT was a lot of money). In return, I sent images of the bankers draft I was paying with to prove my seriousness.

This saves the seller and buyer a lot of time wasting IMHO.

What I do hate is when sellers' assume that declaring a full VOSA history to prove mileage, some imply it in a way to prove FSH. That grates.

11. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    So many reason why I hope my next car is bought new.

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    It's not all bad in the used market.
    Sometimes you find a gem.
    Like my Mini, that was advertised in such a way that it looked like 'any other Mini'.
    When I got there, turns out she'd gone mental on the options list and it was without a doubt the best spec'd one I'd seen.
    Result!

13. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Yes there are some very good buys out there. Just swapped my car for one thats 12 months old and had only 1000 miles on the clock. Saved £15k from new price.

14. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    @True Romance I always used to think like that ie buying a 1 year old car saves so much off list price but in reality how many people pay the RRP these days. There are so many ways to drive a good deal online etc that you can get 10% upwards off the list price without much effort on a lot of cars. So then when you factor in that you have 1 year less warranty and the tyres and brakes will need doing sooner and the depreciation over the next few years I start to wonder if it matter that much. Obviously letting someone else take the hit on that first year make more cars affordable. At the end of the day you lose a fair bit each year regardless and this is part of the reason ive started leasing.

15. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Yep agree. Though I think I'm a pretty good negotiator even I couldn't get £15k off list price. While looking on average I could get around £3k discount buying new. The other advantages with new is better finance rates, usally free services and so on thrown in. However there are used bargins to be found.

16. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Yep 3/4k sounds about right.. There are pros and cons to everything but at the end of the day it's whether you want A brand new car to your spec or not.