Selling a Pioneer PDP5000-EX - Value?

Mr X

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally thinking about departing with my immaculate Pioneer 5000EX. Paid a small fortune for it from new when it was launched as it was the first 1080p TV to hit these shores and of course had the lovely Pioneer blacks!

Anyway, I've had a dedicated cinema room for the last year so the TV really is going to waste. I know people were looking for the Kuros when Pioneer stopped production and they still attracted a lot of interest but I'm trying to find out what this is worth so I can stick in classifieds. Any advice or links welcome.

Thanks

That was the first full hd panel Pioneer did...very expensive panel on release. The proceeding 50 inch full hd tellys,the lx5080 and lx 5090 were obviously quite a bit cheaper and the price for these in the classifieds has varied from £550-£650.

I think the last 5000ex sold for around £550 around 18-24 months ago. I've tried searching the forum, but can only find one classified thread from 2009 where the panel didn't sell.

I think there was a 5080xd (50 inch 720 panel 8th gen Kuro) up for around £250 a few weeks ago. I can't remember if that sold or not. Either way, the prices may give you an indication of how much it could go for in the classifieds, or if you're better off keeping it than potentially selling it for so little. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response :) that really does help.

It's such a nice set with an amazing picture that part of me doesn't want to part with it especially after paying a premium for it. That said it's a shame if it didn't go to a good home.

Will give it some thought, thanks again :)

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed response :) that really does help.

It's such a nice set with an amazing picture that part of me doesn't want to part with it especially after paying a premium for it. That said it's a shame if it didn't go to a good home.

Will give it some thought, thanks again :)

You're welcome :thumbsup: I've dropped some hints to the mrs about moving our 60 inch Kuro on (which we got almost immediately after getting a 50 inch one and then selling it) and making the move to 4k..but I think she'd be rather annoyed if i did that..she absolutely adores the Kuro out of all the av bits and bats!

Hi all

Finally thinking about departing with my immaculate Pioneer 5000EX. Paid a small fortune for it from new when it was launched as it was the first 1080p TV to hit these shores and of course had the lovely Pioneer blacks!

Anyway, I've had a dedicated cinema room for the last year so the TV really is going to waste. I know people were looking for the Kuros when Pioneer stopped production and they still attracted a lot of interest but I'm trying to find out what this is worth so I can stick in classifieds. Any advice or links welcome.

Thanks
Having sold these, at the time it was a ground breaking set because as said it was the first 1080 plasma.

Need to confirm a couple of things though.

Firstly it was not based on kuro tech. It was a 6 gen set and suffered from the same things as 6 gen pioneers did. That was bad image retention although it did go but would take hours. And poor MLL level. Black was not great. It was vs LCD at the time but it did not better the panasonics at the time. What was superb for the time was its colour accuracy. It was also built like a tank.

This set cost £6k. (Makes today's £3-5k sets with what you get look great value).

Sadly today IMHO it's not worth very much. A 50 Panasonic ST60 will wipe the floor with it in terms of performance. Personally I would not sell it. Keep it or let a friend or rele have it. If you do want to sell it you may get between £150 maybe £250 if your lucky. It's 8 years old and would not be repairable unless it was a minor fault. It's the sort of set a collector or a museum may be interested in.

Very helpful feedback, thanks.

I think based on that I will keep it until someone in the family needs it.

Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom