selling a phone to a website

Giraffe76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive sent an old mobile to an address i seen on a phone website for the purpose of selling it to them, they have checked it, confirmed it works but they havent sent me the payment yet even though on my account with them on their website it has a comment saying payment sent. i requested the payment be sent to me by cheque.

Ive sent them an email but didnt get anything back, i also have sent them a message using their message system but still havent got a reply...

the phone website is selloldphone.co.uk

Help!

Well you've certainly had more luck than me! I tried sending an old phone to them for recycling - used the supplied envelope and sent it Freepost, but they claimed not to have got it ever. After lots of phone calls to them and the Post Office, I wrote off the money they were due to give me, but I found them extremely unhelpful and am convinced from reading online reviews that they scammed me.

As to your cheque, I'm sure if you give the post time it'll arrive.

But from now on I'm definitely doing my research into these online recycling companies before I use them...in fact, the one I've never had any problems with and used them 3 or 4 times (though they don't always offer the top money) is Mopay.

Cheers,
Andy

What phone number did you have for them? I found a phone number that i tried but it just rang out...

I can't remember now, but think I found it online or through Saynoto0870.com.

If you google 'selloldphone' and 'problems' you'll see the horror stories and might be able to track down a number. I seem to remember it took a lot for them to pick up though!

Without being pessimistic, you might have to write off the money and then it'll be a nice surprise if you do receive it!

Ive looked at the saynoto0870 website and cant seem to find any number under their name or selling mobile phones.

I do have a number that i did find under a different company name on the yellow pages website but it just rings out and hangs up.

Ive spoken to the northumbria police this morning and they have pointed me in the direction of consumer direct/trading standards or action and fraud.

Im determined to not let this go without a fight.

Would it be worth sending a solicitors letter?

I'm afraid I gave up before that though was pretty angry too for a few days...though for me it was the matter of 30-odd quid si I just wrote it off to experience.

I guess it depends how much the phone you sent them was worth really! Good luck if you do go down that route anyway!

The phone that i sent was worth 90 quid... they say, although the other websites only offered at 75 quid max so the offer of 90 quid is what drew me in. Is it worth going down the solicitor route for 90 quid? Even though they might not reply to the letter as they know it might not be worth me throwing good money after bad.

The phone that i sent was worth 90 quid... they say, although the other websites only offered at 75 quid max so the offer of 90 quid is what drew me in. Is it worth going down the solicitor route for 90 quid? Even though they might not reply to the letter as they know it might not be worth me throwing good money after bad.

It's upto you and whether you can afford to write-off 90 quid, or throw more money at it.

Personally, I'd write it off to a bad experience, as I got the distinct impression from my dealings with them that they were well rehearsed in getting around these things. I suspect they'd probably say the cheque was lost in the post and it's Royal Mail you would need to claim from for it being lost (a variation on my phone being 'lost' by RM on it's way to SellOldPhone).

I guess it depends how much effort and time and cash you want to put into getting your £90/revenge...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom