Selling a new laptop eBay, does it come with warranty?

loz_the_guru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per the title really, I've got a new and sealed laptop that I want to sell, does it still come with the 12 month manufacturers warranty? I would assume its just a case of filling in the warranty card and posting it off, but wondered if this was the case?

Some manufacturers require the receipt, I know HP or Apple only need the serial code for repairs etc;

Hmm its a Lenovo, i've had a poke around their website and found a serial code antry form and also this:

Note: While every effort is made to ensure the information on this website is accurate, in the event of a discrepancy regarding warranty coverage, the Lenovo Limited Warranty included with your product will prevail. Please refer to the Lenovo Limited Warranty included with your product.

Does that mean the slip of paper that comes in the package will be proof? Would the ebay sales page count as a receipt?

Most manufacturers haven't asked for a receipt in years, they only care that the product is real (S/N). The receipt was largely to check when you purchased the item, but warranties usually now kick in automatically at a fixed point after manufacture or the date you register (whichever is earliest).

The amount lost to manufacturers through warranty claims is so minimal they are willing to let a few 'bogus' claims slip through to make administration simpler because most people just throw away things when they break.

Thanks, guess i'd have to open it up to check the serial.... will ponder this further

Thanks, guess i'd have to open it up to check the serial.... will ponder this further
Sometimes they say on the outside on a sticker (often accompanied by a barcode) as they can then be tracked.

Hmm its a Lenovo, i've had a poke around their website and found a serial code antry form and also this:

Note: While every effort is made to ensure the information on this website is accurate, in the event of a discrepancy regarding warranty coverage, the Lenovo Limited Warranty included with your product will prevail. Please refer to the Lenovo Limited Warranty included with your product.

Does that mean the slip of paper that comes in the package will be proof? Would the ebay sales page count as a receipt?

the warranty starts from when you purchased it, not when you sell it on. so if you got it 3 months ago and the standard warranty is 12 months, then there is only 9 months left

Most manufacturers haven't asked for a receipt in years, they only care that the product is real (S/N). The receipt was largely to check when you purchased the item, but warranties usually now kick in automatically at a fixed point after manufacture or the date you register (whichever is earliest).

just curious, how do warranties kick in automatically? would this not only happen if the manufacturer was somehow made aware of every sale date of it product(s).

also how many people actually register items or products online? i never do.

just read that warranty starts from manufactured date, so if it sat in inventory for a year before getting sold then you only have 2 years warranty left if you have no receipt

Last edited:
just curious, how do warranties kick in automatically? would this not only happen if the manufacturer was somehow made aware of every sale date of it product(s).

also how many people actually register items or products online? i never do.

just read that warranty starts from manufactured date, so if it sat in inventory for a year before getting sold then you only have 2 years warranty left if you have no receipt
Some manufacturers will start the warranty 6 months after the manufacture date as that is the average length they estimate for them to get through the channel.

The warranty kicks in when you register the product

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom