Selling a nearly new car on eBay

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Need to sell my Audi A4 (done only 6k & in immaculate condition), worth somewhere between £25k-30k. We Buy Any Car have offered £25k. I've already put it up for sale at Tootle and rrroll but received only 2 offers so far which have been in the low 20k's. However its only been advertised since Friday so perhaps I'm being rather impatient lol.

Anyway if I don't get anywhere on Tootle or rrroll, I'm thinking of going down the eBay route, Auction style sale with no reserve. The ebay selling fees listed here are quite low, ie will cost me £45 in total. However i'm concerned that I could be targeted by scammers. How would I minimize the risk if selling on ebay? I guess one of the things I could do is let people with only 100% feedback or who have at least 50 feedback ratings bid.

You seem to be thinking about the absolute cheapest place to sell rather than the right place to sell.

There won't be many people on Ebay with £25k cash to spend on a car, especially when the vast majority would rather buy from a dealer, get finance etc.

As stblob says, try some Audi dealers or just go with WBAC.

Yep, bought new (factory build) from my local Audi dealer. I will ask them soon but I imagine I will get more in a private auction/sale. But then selling it to a private buyer carries a greater risk of getting scammed...bit of a double edged sword I guess!

There won't be many people on Ebay with £25k cash to spend on a car, especially when the vast majority would rather buy from a dealer, get finance etc.

So i guess that means most - if not all - bidders on ebay would be dealers (not necessarily Audi) who would buy the car to sell on? I suppose that greatly reduces the risk of getting scammed.

I suppose at the end of the day, at that price, it will be only be some sort of dealer who buys it. Question is, is ebay the best place to advertise it wrt getting the most coverage nationwide?

I don't think it's being scammed you need to worry about - 99.9% of them are easy to spot and avoid. It's thinking about who has the funds to actually buy your car from you.

A dealer may buy a car off Ebay but I would have thought it unlikely at that price unless it was a rare/desirable model (you haven't said what car it is so I don't know :))

A dealer is not likely to pay more than WBAC as they are dealers too. So, you would like a private buyer but finding one with cash is going to be very tough. I suppose it depends on how patient you are. You could always try Ebay for a week or 2 and see what response you get.

Thanks. As it would be an auction style sale on ebay, I guess I could set a reserve of 25k (ie same as WBAC) and see how that pans out. But yeah, whichever route I go down, i guess it would be a dealer of some sort who ends up buying the car.

Btw the car is a 2018 A4 Avant Black Edition 2.0 TFSI 190 PS (S Tronic). Lovely car but I really miss the torque & fuel economy of a diesel :(

For a nearly new car I'd really not go to eBay to sell it.

Just imagine it from your buyers perspective, where would they go? Nearly new I'd go to the dealer, or go private if I can get a good deal. But likely search on Autotrader for that. I'd also want warranty etc.

I had this 'trouble' when selling our Mercedes GL AMG. Whilst three years old, it was a rather high value car. Dealer was a rubbish price and not really interested, WBAC was just crazy in what they offered. SellCar was at least not insulting, and then on the phone we talked it up to the book value. However the person coming to pick it up was clearly trained to talk it down again, and she really got on my nerves but I stuck to my guns, and just gave in to £250 which was nothing on the amount and still about £8K above WBAC and the dealers...

If your car is as nice as it sounds, then perhaps you can get a more decent quote. Sell My Car | Find Out Why 1,000's Sell Their Car To Us | SellCar

Definitely expect to get the value lowered if you go the 'we buy any car' route, when they come to look at it. Even if you know it's mint, they'll come up with things to try and de-value it.

Try Evan Halshaw for a price. Sold a car via them a few years back and had no issues, price was pretty good, no hassle with them trying to knock the price down when inspected.

Sell Your Car

Thanks. As it would be an auction style sale on ebay, I guess I could set a reserve of 25k (ie same as WBAC) and see how that pans out. But yeah, whichever route I go down, i guess it would be a dealer of some sort who ends up buying the car.

Btw the car is a 2018 A4 Avant Black Edition 2.0 TFSI 190 PS (S Tronic). Lovely car but I really miss the torque & fuel economy of a diesel :(

My honest advice is to seriously consider how much depreciation you want to swallow to move to another car. Audi dealers on Autotrader are selling the same car starting at less than £25k for a 2018 car with less than 10k on the clock.

My honest advice is to seriously consider how much depreciation you want to swallow to move to another car. Audi dealers on Autotrader are selling the same car starting at less than £25k for a 2018 car with less than 10k on the clock.
I paid £28k for the car last June after trading in my old diesel banger - a 2005 A4 B7 diesel for £6k under the Audi Diesel Scrappage Scheme. Otherwise would have paid around £34k for it after dealer discounts, list price for the car is £39.5k. God, i miss my old B7 diesel, sometimes used to get 800 miles on a full tank lol

Last edited:
I paid £28k for the car last June after trading in my old diesel banger - a 2005 A4 B7 diesel for £6k under the Audi Diesel Scrappage Scheme. Otherwise would have paid around £34k for it after dealer discounts, list price for the car is £39.5k. God, i miss my old B7 diesel, sometimes used to get 800 miles on a full tank lol

I think I deserve half of the difference for that introduction :p

I accept bank transfer, PayPal, and nearly any crypto currency :D

Now I've seen you only lost £800 with my recommendation...I should get more commission :rotfl::D:clap:

Seriously, I'm please my recommendation worked out well for you. I wish I knew about them first time around and didn't get chased by all the others who simply don't offer a fair and reasonable valuation.

Saying that, that company only goes after the nicer models and specs. The moment I noticed that you have an Avant Black Edition S-Tronic with effectively the 40TFSI option I just knew they'd be interested...Hope it all goes smoothly.

Ok an update. 'sellcar' refused to buy my car as I don't live in the right area (I'm in the Highlands). When I offered to drive the car down to the Central Belt or even North of England they still wouldn't accept that...I suspect they backtracked on the website offer of £27.2k but weren't honest enough to admit it. Anyhow I went with Arnold Clark in the end, their online quotation system offered me £26.6k yesterday and that is what they paid me this afternoon at the local Skoda showroom - they were very straightforward, honest and professional.

Try Evan Halshaw for a price. Sold a car via them a few years back and had no issues, price was pretty good, no hassle with them trying to knock the price down when inspected.

Sell Your Car
I've heard that from other people as well..

I always try local car dealers as some times you can get a good price. Otherwise Gumtree, eBay classified car adverts etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom