Sell Panasonic 42GT20b for LG 47LW450U?

crispincorky

Novice Member
Should I sell my Panasonic 42gt20b and buy the 47LW450U? ;)

It's all about the 3d for me.

Also, what's the difference between the 47LW450U and the 47LW550T?

Is it just the Internet Smart TV?

Cheers!

Ari33

I believe the differences are SMART tech and additional picture processing options which most people don't use anyway. I actually switch tru-motion off as it seems to give it a better picture.

Should you sell your active Pany for the 47LW450U? I cant answer that.. go compare and see if the cash difference is worth your while.

mocca

Banned
Should I sell my Panasonic 42gt20b and buy the 47LW450U? ;)

It's all about the 3d for me.

Also, what's the difference between the 47LW450U and the 47LW550T?

Is it just the Internet Smart TV?

Cheers!
I think only you can answer that.
It's the same thing i've asked myself 5 times in the last 12month i believe.
And yes i sell my 3dtv's to fund new ones, i've had baddass sets and rubbish sets, i've had a awsome ld950 and swapped it for a rubbish pz550.
You could do with going to shops and spending a few hours in this and that shop testing what you can.

Couple of things i can tell you from my 1 stint with a 3d plasma, every tv i ever owned has been a lcd.

Lcd looks sharper
Lcd are pretty bad when it comes to a plasma for motion, and this is something i noticed straight away and have had to live with since moving back to lcd, i really can see the motion blur of lcd's now and it does bother me alittle.
I've only stated this as you would be moving from a 3d plasma

I know i'll be moving to a 3d plasma again in around 3 month, like to keep my upgrades for at least a few month ;)

So go test, see if your happy moving from a plasma to a lcd.

The best motion handling 3dtv lcd i've had was the ld950, if i could go back in time i'd never of sold it and would still have it now.

Last edited:

crispincorky

Novice Member
I'm very close to buying the 47LW550T.

When viewing it in the shop I find the pop out and general 3d depth to be stronger on the LG (maybe it's the demo video they use).

I do like the clarity of 3d plasma on certain titles but always feel the 3d pop out could be better. When reading what other people see ie Resident Evil etc I don't see it!

I remember the Legends of the Guardians having better pop out in the rain scene at the cinema than at home too.

So many conflicting stories. Some say better pop out on Passive, where as some say better pop out and depth on active.

I find brightness definitely helps with 3D for me so maybe that's why i've been quite impressed with the passive.

it's also 5" bigger which probably helps.

Arrghhh what to do!!

I'm very close to putting those special numbers into the dixons website! ;)

crispincorky

Novice Member
How do you guys find Tron, Avatar on passive 3D compared to active?

They are my 2 fav 3d titles after all! :)

Also, has anyone watched the Transformers 3d rip on a passive? I'm sure the small spaceships at the very beginning popped out the screen at the cinema. They don't on the Panny!

celsius

Novice Member
IMO, the picture quality, depth or pop, etc have little difference between active and passive. What makes the difference is the contents itself.

What I think important is the difference in the way how 3D is viewed.
My view is that it is not a debate between active vs passive.
It is a debate between active glassess vs passive glasses.

Of cours passive glasses win hands down in many ways.

Ive had a 3d plasma for 3 days (gt30) I love it in many ways BUT I just cant get out of my head the ease of passive 3d and I'm very tempted to take it back and swap it for the 47" lg w550, however I know the 2d will probably be worse and then the whole motion blur / judder will be apparent !

Jason Shouler

Novice Member
Also, has anyone watched the Transformers 3d rip on a passive? I'm sure the small spaceships at the very beginning popped out the screen at the cinema. They don't on the Panny!
Watched a home conversion of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen last night and it was great.

Now I normally hate home conversions so this was a first for me.

Obviosly no pop-outs at all but otherwise the 3D was excellent, with vibrant colours and smooth motion. As is normal with passive, you simply forget you're even wearing glasses which is just as well for such along film :cool:

Ari33

It would be interesting to know if the people that switched from active think the pop and depth is better.
I've watched the LG demo on both sets and the pop out was about the same, I agree with celsius.. it seems to be down to the content.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom