1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sell my Tivo?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by richard plumb, Oct 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm still wondering what to do with my 240GB Tivo +turbonet when I inevitably get SkyHD.

Although I'm sure it won't have the functionality, the image quality will be better (esp. with HD), the more integrated planner will be nice to have etc etc.

So is it worth keeping as a 'cbeebies buffer' in the spare room, or would I be better off selling it and getting a simple one tuner freeview HDD recorder? Would that even be economical?

2. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Depends on the Ebay prices!

TiVos fluctuate wildly from £260 to £380 with lifetime subs.

An £80 dumb Freeview DVR (Humax, Digifusion etc..) would be Ok for recording Cbeebies if you have the spare time to program them each week.
    I value my time highly , so a dumb Freeview PVR is actually more expensive for me!

I will definitely keep a few of my TiVos when Sky HD arrives so I get the best of both worlds, so only one or two might get sold on Ebay depending on market prices.

3. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sold my two TiVi with life time subs and i have always wished i had kept one now, whatever people say the TiVo is still program wise heads above the rest.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I bought my Tivo when it first came out - 2 drive unit, was it £400 + £200 lifetime sub(!)

Used it for quite a while with OnDigital. Then moved on to Sky.

Upgraded my Hard drives for no real reason other than they were there :) Now have 2x120GB Samsung spinpoints, with the originals safely tucked away.

Popped turbonet on there while the case was open, mostly for extraction and burning DVDs. Not used for guide data as I had some problems so didn't bother.

Also bumped up the record quality for basic and best to mode 0, to be better than it was, and make it slightly easier to burn DVDs. (updated basic and made it my default recording level to make setting up recordings slightly shorter)

Never really got tivoweb WAP working but I might play again soon (I'd like to get scheduling up while I'm away from home)

All in all I love it, but I do wish it had better image quality (DTivo please!) Even the kids know they can pause the TV while they go for a wee.

5. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    If you can convince your kids to manually program a Freeview DVR then I would go for one of the £80 ones. Let them record Cbeebies etc.. They will then be responsible for failed recordings/screw ups, and will let your TiVo record on its own in peace.

Use the TiVo to record all the stuff you want. All the labour-saving features that TiVo has means that you won't waste time programming a DVR.

Judging by the rate of improvements in competing DVRs, I think we will have a worthy successor to the UK TiVo by 2011. I would keep the UK TiVo till then.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    heh, I know what you mean. Just bought a PVRT200 for my dad, and while its fine, its very clunky software wise.

Still, my Tivo won't record hidef next year, and I am getting slightly frustrated at the slight loss of quality from the source.

7. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Have you played with Mode 0 and bitrates to up the picture quality? This costs you nothing except more disk space.

Alternatively, or in addition, you can always buy a scaler and get your tivo modified to SDI.
    It is very pricey though.

I can't stand the Digifusion software (except for the subtitles and scene generator - but it infuriates me that it doesn't generate the scenes in the background).

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm on mode 0. And i know sky isn't perfect, but dark stuff still solarises a little more than I'd like

I've just rang sky and they're installing sky+ soon. I'll keep the Tivo alongside just in case as I've heard scare stories about the Sky+ reliability, and Tivo can still record the viewable tuner I guess.

But I'll try and wean myself off it, and hope that someone works out software that is close to as good sometime.