Sell My 60gb - Buy an 80gb - Worth it ??

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by London Town, Feb 2, 2009.

1. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Hi all,

I have a 13 month old 60gb PS3, mint condition etc etc, and never use the card readers, PS2 compatability.....

I see they go for on ebay around what I could get a new 80gb one for ?? which is nice :thumbsup:

All I need to know is can I transfer settings, saves etc from one PS3 to the other easily, with say a USB flash drive (have an 8gb one) ??

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

2. Ethan2000

Ethan2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    The only thing you would gain is 20gb hard drive space, but you would lose loads of extras from the 60gb, I don't really see what you would gain from doing this.

If you want a bigger hard drive then just stick a 320gb one in yours and save yourself the hassle of transfering everything over.

3. zammo25

zammo25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If he does that he's still going to have to transfer everything over. Plus if he gets a new 80 gig one, thats a free dualshock and 12 month warranty.

4. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I suppose you could use a USB memory stick, I don't think it'd be that difficult to do. But I can't understand why you would want to. You'd be losing the card readers, backwards compatibility and some of the USB ports (I think). It doesn't really seem worth it for an extra 20gb. You could probably buy a 320gb HDD for around £50, get an enclosure for your 60gb HDD (for about £10-£15 and then use it as external storage (you could then transfer the data via USB).

5. neilmcdonald

neilmcdonald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sold mine and bought an 80gb mainly for the warranty, but I also got a couple of free games as well. I reckon if you don't need the extra features of the 60gb, then go for it. My new 80gb is also a fair bit quieter than my 60gb.

Cheers,

Neil

6. Nuttynutter123

Nuttynutter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    same as that... i sold mine for about £50 more than i paid for the new 80gb.. got 3 top new games and a consol that is a LOT quieter than my 60gb was.. oh a DS3 as well as 12 months warrenty.

was definatly worth it imo, never used card reader and never played ps2 games

7. AJUK

AJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I have a 60gb, and have 3 years warranty that ends next year, So i think around xmas this year i will try and sell it on and get my hands on a cheap bundle.

I've never used the backwards compatability and hardly used the card readers... :)

8. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Its not about the hard drive for me. Its about the move from 90nm Cell and RSX to 65nm in the 80Gb ones which means they should be quieter.

9. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    It seems most ppl don't so to get a cpl of free games/BR's, quieter/cooler machine, a DS3 (if you don't have one) and some money back it's a pretty good switch. Use the money to whack a 320Gb+ hdd in and your sorted :thumbsup:

10. clc.sheff

clc.sheff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,874
    I have noticed more 6o gigs going for slightly less than they used to second hand so maybe now is the time if you are going to do it. I'm thinking of doing the same thing as I'm sure Sony wont keep replacing old ps3's forever and I have noticed a few more broken ones starting to pop up on various forums.

11. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
  12. AJUK

AJUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
  13. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    sign me up :smashin:

14. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    If you can hold off for a few months more I would wait until the 45nm Cell and either 55nm or 40nm RSX version comes out.

It will more than likely be 55nm RSX, but there are numerous rumors it may be 40nm RSX.

This will be the Ps3 to get as it will be considerably cooler runner, cheaper, use less electricity, and may even be reduced in size.

The 40GB I own now I bought on the cheap last August 2008 so I can justifiably rebuy this one when it comes out sometime this year.

Sony's PS3 PR people have been giving so many hints its coming this year and that it will also tie in with a price cut that its almost funny.

Sell your 60GB then and you will very likely see a very big improvement going to this new version.

15. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Perfect, I knew nothing about this, and will now be holding off for these new versions.

Thanks

16. kayzee

kayzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    What's people's fasination with quiet consoles? Whenver I've got mine on, I'm using it, i.e. playing a game which has sound... which means I can't hear the console, sorry if I'm being neive but I just dont get it!

17. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    For me its only an issue when watching a Bluray or DVD. The PS3 is supposed to be a media centre as well as a games machine, and it can be quite distracting if youre watching a quieter scene and the room youre in isn't massive. ;)

Also 65nm or below means less power consumption and less heat output, so in the summer youre not running the equivalent of an electric heater!

18. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Because the Ps3 is used for watching Blu-Rays.

My fascination is with cool running consoles.

Everyone for some odd reason says, "yes but it means you don't need to pay for heating costs in the winter".

But what they forget is there is Summer too, and an electric radiator going off in your room when its already 25-30c, is almost like torture.

Mainly referring to the Xenon Xbox360 here, as I never owned a 60GB PS3.

19. Nuttynutter123

Nuttynutter123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    pmsl!!

20. rchads89

rchads89
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Would i be right in thinking that 80GB has better cooling system they seem to have vents at the front and my old 40GB didnt have this so i doubt the 60GB has this... The 80GB seems to have alot of cooling from what the others have from what i remenber

21. Jamie Smith

Jamie Smith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haha, that was pretty funny wasn't it :D

22. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    they all have the same vents... Front, back, and right hand side / top...

23. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    +1 my 60Gb had vents on the front.

24. London Town

London Town

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    Nice to see everyones thoughts on this, I'll be selling the 60gb one now and waiting a few months for the newer ones, copied all my saves etc onto my usb stick this afternoon and will now just do a factory reset on the 60gb unit before it goes...

Thanks to everyone for their opinions :thumbsup:

Dave

25. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Just to clarify on my wording of a few months, from the rumors it was suspected it was going to be sometime in Q2 the new console would be coming. (thus April - June).

The 45nm Cells have now went into Mass production from January this year, the original estimation was they would start mass production last last year. So this may therefore have thrown the Q2 estimate out.

Personally after the bashing Sony took Christmas 2008 in sales, it does seem likely, I would say almost certain, the new console will be out in time for Christmas 2009.

But in the PR discussions with Sony and when asked whether they are going to drop the price of the console, all these Sony PR people keep making comments that they will drop the price of the console only when the manufacturing process gets cheaper.

For me I am taking that is a direct confirmation that they know the 45nm Consoles are coming sometime this year, and when they do it will see a big price cut, similarly to the one for the drop from 90nm Cell to 65nm.

26. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It makes sense and its very interesting. However, even although 45nm versions could be out sooner, as you say it could be as late as Christmas 09 (which is still a long way off if you dont have a console). I know you have a PS3 so its okay but I think the OP is holding off altogether.

I have also noticed its hard to get stores to allow you to see if the model they are selling you is a CECHK or a CECHM - they seem quite cagey about it, almost as if theyve been told not to say anything (Game and HMV are the stores I have vistited). Have decided to order online as at least Im covered by distance selling regs.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  27. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Its the same if you ask these stores, especially Game, about looking for confirmation of the specifics of it being a Jasper Xbox before buying.

I think they just hate awkward customers.

Gamestation are usually the ones to try for things like this, as from what I've read they are very supportive (but again depending on who serves you that is).

I believe the original poster has a 60GB console already, and was looking to sell it to rebuy a 80GB.

If it were me and did this, and then found 6 to possibly the max 9 months later a big price drop occurred, alongside a considerably better console was released, I would be annoyed.

The 80GB does though seem to be a big improvement in terms of heat produced, and many people comment its quieter, although others comment oddly their 60GB is quieter.

I love my CECHJ console, much more than my CECHH, its runs considerably cooler and quieter, its practically silent, the CECHH was not.

But from what I have read others mention, I either got very lucky with my CECHJ console, or was very unlucky with my CECHH.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  28. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yeah it probably is that the staff dont like awkward customers. Its amazing the bad service though, in some shops Im sure they would be trying hard to make the sale and check things out for you, but in Game and HMV they seem to view the whole process as an inconvenience to them. Bizarre considering how much money you are thinking of spending.