Sell Arcam DV137 buy Playstation 3?

barrywi

I have the Arcam 137 and 350 combination and am thinking of selling the 137 and buying a Playstation 3. Reasons are that most of the movies I currently watch are from SKY HD and I dont buy DVDs. I have small collection of DVDs but nothing serious and of course the Playstation will play them anyway. I dont want to buy a dedicated blu ray yet until technologies and prices settle down a bit and maybe Arcam produce the goods(Blu Ray and amp decoder wise)
I know the performance may suffer a bit but I gain all the other stuff including being able to get Playstation upgrades with little outlay.
Comments and advice please.
And does anyone know how much I would get for an 18month old 137?:)

spl23

The PS3 doesn't have multichannel analogue outputs, so you will be limited to the same Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks that you have on your current DVD player with it. You will get an HD picture, but you will be limited to DVD quality sound. Does BD on PS3 really look that much better than SD upscaled by the 137?

If you want a PS3, why not buy one and keep the DV137? You can use the HDMI switch in the 350 to switch the picture, and just run an optical cable from the PS3 into a spare optical input on the 350 for the sound.

Also, the DV137 is mechanically near-silent in operation - the PS3 has a fan which I suspect will be audible a lot of the time when watching movies.

All round, a bad idea IMHO!

barrywi

I thought the upgrades to the Sony had allowed HD sound de -coding maybe that is only through HDMI?

Theo Maxtible

Also, the DV137 is mechanically near-silent in operation - the PS3 has a fan which I suspect will be audible a lot of the time when watching movies.

And surely the DV137 is a far more accomplished music player, being able to plays CDs, SACDs and DVD-As.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
CD - PS3 naff, DV137 brilliant
SACD - ditto
DVD-A - PS3 doesn't do
DVD-V - DV137 better although PS3 does have some welly in this dept. Loud during playback though, not as nice a remote and useability etc etc.

PS3 obviously a Blu-Ray player and games machine. But otherwise isn't a *quality* unit in any of the departments the DV137 is.

dbwinter

The PS3 doesn't have multichannel analogue outputs, so you will be limited to the same Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks that you have on your current DVD player with it. You will get an HD picture, but you will be limited to DVD quality sound. Does BD on PS3 really look that much better than SD upscaled by the 137?

If you want a PS3, why not buy one and keep the DV137? You can use the HDMI switch in the 350 to switch the picture, and just run an optical cable from the PS3 into a spare optical input on the 350 for the sound.

Previously, I owned the DV137 and still own the PS3 and an AR-350

The bit rates are higher for the equivalent DD or DTS track on Blu-ray than DVD.

Blu-ray is a different league to DVD on a 50" Pioneer plasma - fact!

The PS3 is very well built and has a very quiet whisper fan that isn't noticeable.
:lesson:

dbwinter

CD - PS3 naff, DV137 brilliant
SACD - ditto
DVD-A - PS3 doesn't do
DVD-V - DV137 better although PS3 does have some welly in this dept. Loud during playback though, not as nice a remote and useability etc etc.

PS3 obviously a Blu-Ray player and games machine. But otherwise isn't a *quality* unit in any of the departments the DV137 is.
The PS3 is definitely better than the DV137 for DVD-V on my Pioneer PDP-507XD. The PS3 is excellent for DVD and only my Denon DVD-2930 so far beats it in this area.

I also disagree about the quality aspect of the PS3. However, audio wise the PS3 isn't Hi-Fi in any respect.:smashin:

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
THe quality point was me just trying to say it ain't no Hi-Fi component on any audio format it plays.

I totally disagree with your rating of video performance going DV137 - PS3 - 2930. I would actually rate them in the opposite direction!!!!

OneDesi

I'm not sure about the rankings but going back to the OP's point I think getting a PS3 is a great idea, just don't expect to get a fortune back for the DV137. New DV135's are £449 and 2nd hand DV139's are between £8-1100.

I have the PS3 and as long as you give it lots of space you hardly notice the noise but it does get hot so needs venting. The remote on the Arcams is nothing to write home about and the dedicated PS3 remote is £15 from play.com (it is a bluetooth one so cant be added to any learning remotes). Upscaled DVD's are very good on the PS3 and of course you have a cheap blu-ray player which is probably the only one on the market that can accept downloadable upgrades to the codecs (you can now get the HD codecs in PCM format over HDMI but the Arcam amps wont accept this so for sound you will be stuck with dolby digital and the like unless you get a new onkyo amp).

Add the gaming capability and you cant go wrong (PS3's are sub £300 with games now) - in yout shoes I'd buy the PS3 and if doesn't suit sell it on forum for a small hit but at least you get to compare with the DV137.

For the record, I still use a DV79 for SD DVD's and am not overly impressed by blu-ray (although it does look good on a 6ft projected screen).

dbwinter

THe quality point was me just trying to say it ain't no Hi-Fi component on any audio format it plays.

I totally disagree with your rating of video performance going DV137 - PS3 - 2930. I would actually rate them in the opposite direction!!!!
Have you seen all of these players on a Pioneer PDP-507XD?

The DV137 is not good at all with video and found motion problems and colour issues. The only thing it betters the DVD-2930 for is CD - the DV137 is excellent in this respect but wasn't impressed at all for SACD or DVD-Audio!
Hence, I have just purchased a CD36 which should arrive tomorrow.

I also found that both the DV137 and DVD-2930 look best at 576P, letting the Pioneer handle the upscaling. Strangely, the PS3 looks at its best doing the upscaling itself?

barrywi

Sorry guys for causing a fight!
You all seem to have good opinions on the subject.
I am 61 now and my very high frequency hearing isn't as good as it was so ultimate Hi Fi with CD isnt quite as important. I had an old Meridian 101/ 105 set up before which I sold to get 5 channel movie sound and the convenience of one box amplification so hence the 350, which I love. Not bothered about super audio cds....how many are there for sale?
I suppose my ideal would be a Playstation with proper blu ray physical audio outs for new format HD sound and I like the idea of having the internet available. May Arcam would like to produce something having all these facilities( ok ditch the games maybe...perhaps I am too old for that)
Perhaps the sensible solution if I can persuade "her who shall be nearly always obeyed" is to find a good deal on the Playstation and hang on to my 137. Now how do you fit a third HDMI input to the 350 .....or maybe I could send the video to HDMI input two on the telly and sound via the 350.
Anyone out there want to give me a Playstation???:devil: doh!!!

dbwinter

Sorry guys for causing a fight!
You all seem to have good opinions on the subject.
I am 61 now and my very high frequency hearing isn't as good as it was so ultimate Hi Fi with CD isnt quite as important. I had an old Meridian 101/ 105 set up before which I sold to get 5 channel movie sound and the convenience of one box amplification so hence the 350, which I love. Not bothered about super audio cds....how many are there for sale?
I suppose my ideal would be a Playstation with proper blu ray physical audio outs for new format HD sound and I like the idea of having the internet available. May Arcam would like to produce something having all these facilities( ok ditch the games maybe...perhaps I am too old for that)
Perhaps the sensible solution if I can persuade "her who shall be nearly always obeyed" is to find a good deal on the Playstation and hang on to my 137. Now how do you fit a third HDMI input to the 350 .....or maybe I could send the video to HDMI input two on the telly and sound via the 350.
Anyone out there want to give me a Playstation???:devil: doh!!!
Buy a Joytech 3 to 1 HDMI switch for only £17.99 - I use one myself for Xbox 360, PS3 and DVD-2930 - See here

Detto

you'll need an optical connection for sound on ps3 anyway so might aswell hdmi ps3 direct to tv.

oceanrower

Novice Member
Worth noting :lesson: :
The Pioneer PDP-507XD is 720p only (not 1080p). It is one of the best plasmas for 720p which is the best for most european tv-broadcasted. But for Blu-Ray you should go 1080p 24frames/s. It is a huge difference!

So compairing an Arcam DVD-player with a PS3 on Pioneer PDP-507XD will not show what the PS3 (or the Blu-Ray format) is capable of.

dbwinter

Worth noting :lesson: :
The Pioneer PDP-507XD is 720p only (not 1080p). It is one of the best plasmas for 720p which is the best for most european tv-broadcasted. But for Blu-Ray you should go 1080p 24frames/s. It is a huge difference!

So compairing an Arcam DVD-player with a PS3 on Pioneer PDP-507XD will not show what the PS3 (or the Blu-Ray format) is capable of.
I agree that the Pioneer is a 720P display but it can and is set to accept 1080P/24 and looks better than any 1080P display that I have seen (accept the new Pioneers of course). This is then down scaled by the processing in the TV and creates a more usable 72Hz to reduce the otherwise noticeable flicker.

json

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a DV139 and just got a PS3 to be able to check out the Blu-Ray format. These are my findings, and of course solely based on my system and preferences. They might not be a totally relevant comparison, but at least somewhat relevant I hope.

- Music: DV139 totally crushes the PS3. I don't use the DV139 for music that much though, since I use a Linn DS for that.

- DVD: Again the DV139 totally crushes the PS3. The PS3 upscaling (to 720p through an Infocus 7210 projector on a 100" screen) is not very good. It's way too soft and movement handling is not as good as the DV139. It might sound like a cliche but I got a head ache from the PS3 picture and had to set it to 576p and let the projector do the scaling (which gave other artifacts). The Arcam is however better also when using 576p.

- Blu-Ray. Here the PS3 does a good job of down scaling. Compared to DVD upscaling with the DV139 the PS3 Blu-Ray picture is much sharper. Movement handling is not that bad either, but I think the DV139 has the edge. And yes, I am really looking forward to an Arcam Blu-Ray player (hopefully region free as well ;) )

To summarize: Blu-Ray is the future in video for me. The Arcam is good, but when the picture is large enough there is no comparison.
If I had to chose between the PS3 and the Arcam for music I would definately keep the DV139.
And also for DVD:s the PS3 is currently not an option for me.

Theo Maxtible

I am 61 now and my very high frequency hearing isn't as good as it was so ultimate Hi Fi with CD isnt quite as important. Not bothered about super audio cds....how many are there for sale?

I made the assumption that your question was rhetorical, but thought I’d answer it anyway. There are others that use this forum who are much more “in the picture” with regard to how many SACDs are available, but I don’t think I’m exaggerating if I said that there are thousands. Classical/Orchestral music appears extremely well represented for SACD, but there are many other genre (how I hate that word!) available. DVD-A doesn’t appear to fare so well, but I’m still finding a variety of interesting titles.

With regard to your comment about playing CDs and frequency, I’m 13 years your junior, so even my ears have seen some mileage. You’re the best judge on your own ears performance, but might you just be doing them an injustice regarding your comments?! I’m unconvinced that it’s all to do with frequency, regarding how we hear/perceive music.

I bought my DV137 and AVR350 for listening mainly to music (specifically hi-res stuff but also CDs), although I do watch DVD-Vs regularly on it. I’m operating my Arcam DV137 and AVR350 with a 5.1 speaker set that is derided in many hi-fi circles, and which I’m too embarrassed at this moment to admit the brand. My Arcam equipment definitely deserves something better, and when my ship comes in, I’ll look at some “proper” options. Some of you lucky devils out there must be living in heaven with your DV137s and 139s!

I’m not exaggerating if I say that my Arcam equipment has revolutionised my music listening pleasure. Even despite my speakers though, I can hear a difference between CDs and the hi-res equivalents.

Might you not just want to try an SACD (preferably hybrid) before considering disowning your DV137?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'm amazed that SWMBO (or in your case, only nearly always) didn't come out with a flat "no" to a PS3. My children (17,18,19) tried to convince her last weekend that we should get one as a blu-ray player. I'm sure they want it as a games machine, but wanted to convince us that we needed it as a blu-ray player. As soon as they explained that PS meant "Play Station" her response was immediate and definite. I could probably get away with a blu-ray player, although a 127cm TV is still being vetoed. Since we spent all of our money on our surround sound system, blu-ray has to wait.

I'd suggest that you keep the DV137 and, since you're not interested in gaming, add a profile 1.1 blu-ray player.

Rakurai

Novice Member
The PS3 doesn't have multichannel analogue outputs, so you will be limited to the same Dolby Digital / DTS soundtracks that you have on your current DVD player with it. You will get an HD picture, but you will be limited to DVD quality sound.
Yes, but most of the time BD's use the maximum bandwidth available for DD/DTS core streams (i.e. 640kbps for DD, 1.5Mbs for DTS), whereas DVD's typically are around 392/448 kbps for DD and 786kbps for DTS.

Does BD on PS3 really look that much better than SD upscaled by the 137?
Yes! Upscaled SD is still SD - no matter how smart the player is at inventing pixels. The difference is already visible on my 32" LCD, and quite obvious on my 95" projection screen. And I'm not even utilizing the full HD potential at this moment, as my projector only has 720p resolution.

HD not only has higher resolution, it also has better color and crisper image (even on SD resolution) than DVD.

Depends. The 60GB version still produced some noise, but the 40GB version is practically silent.

spl23

Yes, but most of the time BD's use the maximum bandwidth available for DD/DTS core streams (i.e. 640kbps for DD, 1.5Mbs for DTS), whereas DVD's typically are around 392/448 kbps for DD and 786kbps for DTS.
Are all AV receivers compatible with the higher bitrate streams? PInk Floyd's "Pulse" DVD includes a high bitrate DD stream, and my Denon 3805 wouldn't play it properly - the sound dropped out every five seconds or so. The same disc does play correctly on my AVR350, but it might be worth checking that it is fully compatible with high bitrate streams.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for October 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Linn upgrades Majik LP12 turntable with new tonearm
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
VPI announces new Prime 21 turntables
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Skyworth launches 8K Q71 TV