Self purchasing digi box for SKY ....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Dystran, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Dystran

Dystran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the answer in my other post everyone.

Since I already have the communial dish connection, i will go buy a digi box myself and connect it myself. Then i will send off for the Sky contract form and apply for the £19.50 package.

(1) Can anyone recommend a basic (cheap!!) digibox that will do the job?

(2) If I go to ebay, is there anything i need to look out for, any tips? - ie. certain digi boxes that wont work with sky :eek:)

Thanks again for any helpful replies!

Rgds
    Gavin

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Simply put you need a SKY digibox (any make any model) to watch SKY encrypted channels both PAY and FTV.
    They are basically the same specifications with the biggest difference being the menu navigation speeds which if slow make the whole system a pain to use. The older boxes (Pace 2200, Amstrad DRX100) should be avoided for that very reason while the latest models PACE2600/DS430N, Amstrad DRX400 are just fine. Panasonic models have always been considered to have the fastest menus and are generally a good manufacturer and recommended by their users. There are probably some Grundigs still on the market and you might see a few Thompson digiboxes as well.

3. Dystran

Dystran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay cool, had a research around -

So all I need nwo is a SKY card. SKY told me the whle process takes around 21 days!!!!

I assume there is no other way than getting an application sent to me, fillig it in, posting it back and waiting for ages? heh

Rgds
    GAVIN

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Try online they may have an online application that you can fill in or print, also try going to local stores as they will have contracts on site, and a local installer may sell you a box for connection yourself see http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/home.asp for local people

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Surprised you can't order via the telephone, it's hardly rocket science these days but I suppose they want written confirmation of address/payment etc. I suppose quoting 21 days just covers their backside for any delays in admin and postage, there were some issues a month back with a backlog of new subscriptions.