Self powered speaker needed to complement Flat Panel Television

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DelsFan, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DelsFan

DelsFan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My apologies, this post belongs in the speaker forum so I am reproducing it there - sorry.
    Please reply there, if you have any comments.

I've got loads of (superior) two-channel audio equipment, and have set up several surround systems for friends. But here is my problem:

A couple of years ago I got my Mom a 60" Sony XBR2 television set (the one with the dumbo ears). This, so I'd have something good to watch when at "home" on business, and so she would have use of it all the time. The problem is, whenever there is anything on that involves music I "have" to go to a friend's house to (be satisfied) hear anything below about 1000Hz! (OK, maybe I exaggerate, but not much.)

What I "need" is a simple add-on speaker, one that sounds just half to three quarters like real music. I'm thinking a self-powered speaker that would sit under the television, maybe one with a 5" midrange and 8" subwoofer. Well, at 8", nearly a subwoofer - but at 8" at least it could easily (inexpensively) be both quick and musical. If it could reproduce (accurately) sounds down to 80 or 100 Hz, that would be a significant improvement and quite sufficient. And by simple I mean a speaker that would plug into a wall outlet for power and receive a signal through one patch cord connected to an audio out jack on the television (and have one volume knob with which to initially balance the sound with the television speakers), and that be the end of it.

No center channel, no rear or side speakers - just one complimentary speaker to provide anything resembling a full spectrum of sound/music. [Overkill (useful overkill) to me would be having two 5" speakers in the cabinet, one on each side of the 8" speaker. This to perhaps preserve the stereo signal available from the television.]

Now, many would say this would only serve a niche market. However, what percentage of flat panel television owners do you think have surround systems (or sound bars, which are not full range but seriously better than nothing) and what percentage do you think are listening to nothing but the two leetle tweeters that came with their television (the one that is producing a superior picture but has, nearly, no sound)? I'd be pretty surprised if more than 20% of flat panel owners were in the first category. So, the only question (and a fair one) is: what percentage of the no-speakers-added crowd give a darn about having better sound?

1) Is this any kind of an idea, or am I looking for a product that would suit twenty or thirty people as opposed to twenty or thirty percent of the market?

2) Has anyone ever heard of such a product?

I've been thinking of this (translation: I've been dissatisfied) for two years now - I'll be glad to hear any of your opinions!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Speakers on flat panels are weak , like you say , however I dont think music is most peoples concern , more Dialog.

What you describe , but for Dialog , is available.

The Original Dialogue™ Speaker | firstSTREET | external TV speaker, wireless TV speaker, hear TV amplifiers, hearing devices TV, | first STREET

I usually find that if music is the primary concern,and theres no desire for an av amp or the budget for one , then TV gets hooked up to whatever stereo system the owner has, which is possible on just about any stereo system these days.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As this is already in the Speakers section...it's closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.