• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Self Install Satellite Cables

protonplayer

Standard Member
Hi Guys, how hard is it to install two cables from my quad LNB Satellite dish to my TV. I am thinking of doing it myself. I have installed my own antennae in the past before so it can't be that hard.

I called up several places and got quotes of £50+VAT+Equipment (cheapest so far) and I find that expensive, one place wanted to charge me £60 per cable I mean come on £120 for 20meter cable? :confused:

All I want is two extra cables to the TV/Sky Box. So I will have 4 cables there, one for the TV and two for Sky HD and 1 for the PC.
Thanks

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
The connections are simple just make sure you don't move the dish/lnb. Drilling the wall and routing the cable will be the hardest parts, easy if you have the right tools and a simple run though.

logiciel

Last edited:

storm05

Standard Member
It's really easy; i installed similar for our Freesat in the bedroom last year and it was simple. As kevkbuk said, running the cable will be the most time consuming part, but 20 metres is nothing really so i wouldn't worry.

protonplayer

Standard Member
Thanks guys, my only concern is the LNB and if I get it skewed by accident, is it easy to adjust it properly if I get someone to stand in front of the TV watching the Sky signal and letting me know if the signal is strong so I can attach it at that angle. I am just guessing here.

Looking at the satellite dish I see the LNB has an under-section that looks like it can be removed and the cables "screwed" on like you "screw" them behind the Sky/Satellite connections. Is that correct? Once again I am guessing, correct me if I'm wrong.

I came across that website earlier that user logicel posted above and read about the cables. Can I use the dual cable one (called WF100 (twin) cable) and replace the ones I have? Having two cables is better than four on the wall.

Thanks

logiciel

The cables get f-plugs, and at the LNB those do screw in to f-sockets, so that should be easy to do without moving the LNB at all.
It was shotgun - aka dual or twin - cable that I was referring to.

storm05

Standard Member
In my case the LNB & dish were very secure so they didn't move out of position at all, although i wouldn't know how easy it is to re-allign it if it did go wrong, but i would think even if you did you'd probably not move it massively so wouldn't be that tricky. However, i'm sure someone else will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

I can only speak for the dish & LNB that we have but i assume they're all very similar. I had to swap our existing LNB as it was only a twin and i needed a quad, and there is a little locking pin holding the LNB onto the dish, which when pulled out allows the LNB to slide off the end of the dish. And yeah the connectors just plug in and screw down to hold in place like on the back of the Sky box, and on ours there is also a sliding cover which i assume is there to help protect against the elements a little.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Hi
Is it easy to replace the LNB?

Need an Octo

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys, my only concern is the LNB and if I get it skewed by accident, is it easy to adjust it properly if I get someone to stand in front of the TV watching the Sky signal and letting me know if the signal is strong so I can attach it at that angle. I am just guessing here.

Looking at the satellite dish I see the LNB has an under-section that looks like it can be removed and the cables "screwed" on like you "screw" them behind the Sky/Satellite connections. Is that correct? Once again I am guessing, correct me if I'm wrong.

You needn't worry about the skew, it won't move if your careful. Your correct there is plastic cover over the connections which pulls off, you screw the new cables in then refit the cover. You could mark the skew angle of the LNB with a marker or something just in case but it shouldn't be needed. With patience you can use the signal meters in the receiver to align the dish should the worst happen.

logiciel

Brilliant this is easier that I thought. Something to do for the weekend.
There's a lot of information on the cable link on how to go about it.
In your case it's very simple - uncover, carefully screw on plugs, cover again - no movement involved.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom