Self enclosed drivers - my usual place stopped selling them

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by davbren, Aug 20, 2012.

1. davbren

davbren
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I just moved into a new place and I'm wanting to build my surround sound using an optical connection. My budget isn't huge but its long term and so will be drawn out to compensate.

So what I'm after is a location where I can purchase drivers that are self enclosed so I don't have to worry about the acoustics of the housing. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology so please forgive me.

Cheers,
    davbren

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Are you looking for inwall/inceiling speakers? Or just normal speakers?
    What are you planning to put these drivers into?
    Maybe a bit of an explaination of what you hope to achieve at the end would help to understande what you are looking for.

3. davbren

davbren
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for responding.

What I'm doing is creating a 5.1 speaker system using an open box amp and a custom speaker set. I know this is *completely* unnecessary as there are many, perfectly, good systems out there OTB.

I will be housing them in teak boxes (for the retro look), not the ceiling or the wall.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Any speaker that is put in a box will interact with that box and this will alter the sound. An inwall or inceiling speaker is designed to be in such a location hence it is designed with that interaction in mind to ensure the overall sound is still good at the end.
    Any speaker and/or driver you put in a box will interact with it and cause issues with the sound. If you want custom speakers then you are going to need to look into DIY speaker design. This is not for the faint of hearted as there are a lot of things to take into consideration. Designs for speakers can be bought which make it easier since all the hard maths has been done for you.
    Personally I would buy proper speakers from a proper speaker manufacturer. They spend very large amounts of money developing and designing their speakers so they sound the best they can for a given price point. To beat them at their own game is going to be pretty hard. So unless it is a real passion of yours to design your own speakers then I would not bother as it will probably mean a lot of time, a lot of expense (as you try different options) and a lot of frustration.