1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self changing aspect ratios.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me?!?
    I have a Pioneer DV05 Elite DVD player which is US R1 sourced. I watch my films on a Sony 32" widescreen TV and have the player set to widescreen.
    When watching NON ANAMORPHIC R2 discs, the aspect ratio keeps changing on the TV. Examples are The Great Escape and the Thunderbirds series. I have the player connected by s-video via my Denon 3801 amp.
    As you can imagine, this is quite annoying watching a screen flick from wide to 4:3 evry minute os so. :confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,033
    I'm guessing here.

If the TV has an auto-switching mode, and if there is an option in the user menu, try turning it off.

Some TVs detect a signal in one of the unused lines on a PAL signal to switch ratios. This signal is present on NTSC but on a different line. It may be that something ELSE is output on the equivalent PAL line in the NTSC signal that the TV is interpreting as the widescreen trigger.

It may be necessary to get into the TV's service menu to disable it, but I can't offer any specific guidance as to the details.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    AB

I also have a region 1 player ( Pioneer 606 ) with JVC widescreen television.

Widescreen autoswitching doesn't work as it isn't connected by scart and I have to manually set the TV to "full".

It won't be much help to you but I don't have this problem.

Ian

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fella's.
    I was able to switch off the auto switching mode in the menu so it's now been sorted.
    Looking at it, it was common sense really wasn't it!?! :D :rolleyes: