Self Build Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by facial, Feb 5, 2009.

1. facial

facial
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Has anyone had any experience of any company's that offer timber frame homes. The ones we have looked at are Scotframe and Solo. They look good and they look cheap, admittedly you need to have the land, but that is being sorted! We were just wanting to know if anyone had any experience of using them as some of the houses look really nice and the bespoke designs don't seem too much more!

I am also wanting some information on how all the cables work, so i will be updating with a diagram of what i think i would need just for the cinema room to start with! (btw a dedicated cinema room will be a must have in the designs!:smashin:)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sam

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I had done a bit of research into Avalon Timber Frame homes, now called Advanced Housing Systems, in the past. They have been on grand designs a couple of times and there prices compare quite favourably with other companies.

3. albriscoe

albriscoe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Do you mind me asking why timber framed?

Is it the oak frame type where you can see the actual frame or is it the timber framed which is then built on the outer skin traditionally using brick.

After research I was told that a timber frame build had better insulation facters so was a more greener approach as was saving energy.

Well I`ve just done a traditional build using brick and block and as I type at the moment with temperatures outside at freezing we don`t have our underfloor heating on as its not needed, infact we only have it on in the evening when we sit in the conservatory to watch tv.

As per building regs we had to virtually make every room into an insulated box and the results are proving to be great heating wise

In my opinion and I`m certainly no expert I`d rather have a traditional built house only because I`ve not experienced any other type but the timber framed alternative to mine was frighteningly more expensive to build.

When you say "they look good and cheap" I hope you don`t me cheap looking :eek:

Have you had quotes for both types of build btw and how do they compare:eek:

My earlier thread found in my sig gives quite a detailed look into how we built the house if your interested.

cheers Al :smashin:

4. facial

facial
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi Al, i have studied your thread just a few times:smashin: and love it! I have also showed my parents!

The reason for the timber frame is..well the land we are hoping to get currently has a farmhouse ( in a state where the best thing is to buy a JCB and put it in top gear and don't stop) and lots of out buildings, on of which is a barn that is joined to the house.

We have numerous ideas:

1 knock it all down and use a timber frame (trying to expose as much wood as poss as that is the surrounding style)

2 knock the house down put a new one up and renovate the barn.

3 knock the house down and renovate the barn

all these depend on planning permission of course!!

When i said they look cheap i meant the prices on the website :D

We have yet to have a quote but hopefully taking a building friend to look around in the next week or two! currently in an argument with the estate agents to show us around again on Sunday as we cant see inside with out keys, you would think they would jump at the chance to sell a house but nooooooooooooo:confused:

We are only in the early stages but hoping to get things moving quickly as we are fed up of living in rented, we have two dogs so limits where we can live in a rented house!

Hope this gives a better idea!

I will be posting my proposed cable set up later on with every addition you can think of being a great help. we want it to be as future proof as possible and have looked at your i-light system Al! :thumbsup: it looks fantastic, i have seen you recommend them are there any others you know of and also do you have any shots of the i-light menu's??

Thank You!!!:hiya:

5. facial

facial
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks Da Rude, will be looking in to these later on!

Sam

6. facial

facial
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    here is my cable idea, its probably way off so please feel free to help :clap:

[​IMG]