Selective data roaming (again)

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by tdenson, Aug 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    For some reason when I try to access my original thread on this subject I get "403 Forbidden" so I have started it again.

Just back from a cruise where I was trying to be very selective in my use of data roaming but failed a couple of times. I was using an Orange and O2 daily plan allowing respectively £3/30Mb and £2.50/25MB. On two occasions for no obvious reason I suddenly racked up about an extra 50MB data. It was when I discovered the photos I had taken on my iPhone had appeared on my iPad that I realised that photo stream was the culprit. Moral of this is when you switch on data roaming abroad, switch off the photostream feature.

As an aside, before I left when I called Orange to switch on the £3 daily data plan, I asked them to confirm that I would receive text messages warning me when I was approaching the daily quota which they did. The reason I did this was because on a previous trip I didn't receive these messages even though they had said I would. On that occasion they reimbursed me my excess charges. Surprise, surprise, I didn't get any this trip either although I can see excess charges of about £35 on my Orange account. It's getting a bit tiresome to have to argue this every trip, but it does mean I can go over my usage with some impunity.

2. bransoj

bransoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    With regards to Photostream it should only do the sync when connected to Wifi.

If you got to Settings > Photos under where you have the slider to turn Photostream on and off it says "Photo Stream automatically uploads new photos to iCloud and downloads them to your all your devices when connected to Wi-Fi."

Fairly sure mine has only ever done it whilst on a working Wi-Fi connection.

3. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, but therein lies the problem. I was using my iPad tethered via wifi to my iPhone.