1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selecting Input Source on PWD7 and PWD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Aug 11, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    It may sound trivial but its a big issue to me - enough to stop me buying a PV500.

Whatever plasma I end up with, I must be able to directly select an input source using either a Discrete Code or Macro from my Pronto controller.

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible on the Panasonic Panels PWD7, PWD8 and PHD8?

How are the input sources selected - is it directly by slot number?

If so what happens to the multi-input boards or the PC connector which can accept both VGA and Component (8 Series)?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Discrete input selection is one of the major improvements that the 8 series appear to offer - I haven't seen one yet but the spec sheet is clear, the PWD8 has discrete input codes.

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    Thanks Piers, I thought I had read that too somewhere.

Can anyone confirm avaiability of discretes on the 8 series?

And does this mean that discreetes and macros are not available for the 7 series?

Can anyone talk me through how you select inputs using the hand control for the 7 series?

Cheers,

Nigel

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the brochure for the PWD8 says "Redesigned for easier operation, the remote control unit now
    features a Power Off button and Direct input select buttons. It
    also allows ID control in a multi-screen system."

Click on the thumbnail to make the piccy bigger

[​IMG]

from memory The PWD7 has a remote like the bottom one the one for the LCD

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    Thanks for the extra info. The info for the 8 Series states direct input selection (1\2\3\PC) - obviously the slots and the PC connector. Looking good so far.

Anyone know what happens with multi-input cards e.g. Composite/S-VHS and the VGA/Component facility of the PC connector.

e.g. If I have a Composite/S-VHS card in slot 1, pressing a direct input button for Slot 1 can't be the end of the story.

Likewise if I use the direct input to select PC how does the panel know whether to select Component or VGA.

Nigel

p.s. I know that in reality the Composite/S-VHS card would not be a good one to use but I use it as example as it appears to be the one that Panasonic are including with the panel.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The composite and s-card, if you connect both, if it senses a cable on both, currently neither works IIRC, I haven't tried for a few years now. The PC input you switch in the screen setup menu from RGB to component and vice versa, certainly not by direct selection on the remote.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    nheather

The Inputs that offer multiple signal support on a single Input are not auto sensing or selection - you have to go through a user menu to select between YUV or RGBHV on the HD15(VGA) or 'Component' boards.

You do have direct selection of Discreet inputs via IR on the 8 Series - which is a great move by Panasonic Business Systems.

It may be possible to achieve what you want using RS232 - though I've not seen the tables for the 8 Series to confirm this or not.

Best regards

Joe

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,514
    Thanks for the responses. I have found a manual on the US Pany site and I can see now that the use of the PC input has to be selected in a menu - this works well for me.

As for the multi-input cards, I was just curious really but I don't intend to use any of them.

Cheers,

Nigel