Selecting a router

dazed&confused

Hi.

I’ve decided I want to store all my music on a hard drive, to access with a media player connected to my AV receiver. In the near future I’ll also want to store and stream movies, photos and video clips to a media player. It seems I should create a network using my pc, a router and NAS.

At the moment the only IT kit I have is a pc, so I guess my starting point should be acquiring a router. From what I’ve read so far, it seems clear that I should get something that has N specification for fast, robust wireless transmission and also has gigabit Ethernet capability (especially for video). More confusing is dual band: a guide I read on the one hand recommended dual band as switching an N router from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz “is like trading a Toyota for a Maserati”; on the other hand, when discussing simultaneous dual band transmission, the guide stated that “clients using 5GHz are few are far between unless you purchase after-market 802.11a/n cards that use it”. Can anyone enlighten me? Are there likely to be any potential disadvantages to simultaneous transmission at the two bands?

Another question concerns smart-phones. Using an iphone, would I be able to access the internet via wifi on my home network from any wirless router– or only if it is 3G compatable?

I would also like to be able to access the media stored on my NAS over the internet when I'm away from home, using a device such as an iphone (audio) or netbook (video). Do I need to consider the router specification in this regard, or is this an issue purely in relation to the server software/firmwear in the NAS?

A router I am considering, as a result of looking at the charts on smallnetbuilder.com, is the NETGEAR WNDR3700. Any opinions, or suggestions for another device?

Many thanks ..............

t72bogie

if you have Virgin cable, then a WNDR3700 would be great - it needs a cable modem or adsl ethernet modem to connect to

if you are on ADSL then a Netgear DGND3300 or DGN3500 would be a good choice - both have a USB port for hosting a NAS drive (what they refer to as "readyshare") and it actually works better than the other efforts Ive tried as is useable ...you can get at your files remotely :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom