1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Select SVP350 power up problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rich-UK, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got a Seleco SVP350 with about 1500hrs on it. It's been working faultlessly up until this evening...

I turned it on and it came on showing my PC's desktop (I use the PC to play DVD's), I switched the input from S-Video to component to watch telly and it turned itself off.

Now when I turn it on, it powers up for about 10 seconds then powers down again, the greed LED's on the PSU light up then when the power is cut, the LED fade off one by one. The red LED's on teh protection board at the back are off until it turns off, as that happens, the second one in from the back lights, then the one nearest the back, then all off them flash then they all fade out. It will only repeat that if left for 5 mins, if tried before nothing happens.

I've checked all the ribbon cable connections and daughter board connections. There are no burn marks on the PCB's either.

Any ideas? :(

P.S. I've unplugged all the inputs.

2. gazzzman

gazzzman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there!
    the most probable cause of your problem is poor contacts on the connectors
    on either the protection board or one of the two daughter boards in the power supply
    leave it turned off and unplugged for 20 mins then carefully unclip the prot board and the two daughter boards find some contact cleaner and spray a little into each socket leave for a min or two then re insert each board jiggling it slightly on re insertion to make the contacts rub and clean themselves
    I would NOT advise you put anything (wire pin ect) into the sockets as they are not very springy and you can damage the socket permanently!
    feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need further help!
    gazzman

3. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I'll give that a go this week and let you know how I get on.

Luckily, I have a spare projector I can use in the mean time :cool:

4. gazzzman

gazzzman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi again!
    let me know how it goes!
    gazzzman

5. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've just fininshed removing and reattaching all the cables and boards I can find and it still has the same problem :(

If it would help, I can take a quick video of it's failed startup with my camera?

6. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All fixed thanks to Gazzzman :thumbsup:

7. fenax

fenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get something similar, what was the fix?

thanks!

8. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gazzzman sent me a new NVRAM chip as apparently there are a few 350's out there with incorrect software in. You've probably got v2.01 which is a bit iffy apprently.

Owl, Sim2 or a projector enginner should be able to help you.

Apart from that, excellent projector :smashin:

9. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I also have a Seleco SVT350 with the same problem, I'm new to this forum, and also CRT projectors in general (I'd only had the unit a day and was in the process of setting the thing up when it died). It did have v2.01 software so I'm guessing it must be the same problem.

So basically how do i get hold of one of these magic NVRAM chips?, How much will it cost?, and hard is it to fit?

would it be worth trying to clean out the daughterboard first anyway?

10. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. JonnyP

JonnyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick response, hopefully I can get this thing sorted out,

one other thing, would there have been any way of predicting this problem?
    I bought the unit as fully working off eBay, and it basically failed after around an hour on time, which seemed slightly suspect, but I'm guessing from the nature of the problem was more bad luck than anything else.

12. Rich-UK

Rich-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how or why it happens, luckily for me Gazzzman answered my call for help!

I assume that when it stops working that's it, so I don't think it was sold to you under false pretenses as it would never have worked for you.