1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seleco SVT-150 CRT Projector Setting Up and Convergence

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rozel, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I wonder if someone can help me. I have one of the above, rather old projectors which is still giving me and my family outstanding service. We can not afford to replace it at present. However I want to move it to another position in our room. I have the Operating Manual, which comprehensively informs how, and in what order, to adjust the "regulation dials" for correct convergence of the three colours but the manual says it needs a competent technician to undertake the "complete series of tuning" including the "Focus" and "Zoom" settings - i.e.; the resultant size of the picture.

I would like to clean the lenses and from what I recall from the engineer that installed it, he loosened a few clips and the lenses could be removed. By a simple method of moving these lenses you could focus and zoom.

I regard myself as a competent technician and have over the years managed successfully to adjust the convergence from time to time. Given my skills in interpreting information and data, I wonder if someone could supply me with a "service engineers" manual or something which gives step by step setting up instructions for this model - starting from scratch so to speak. I don't mind paying for such a manual, if it can give me the instructions including "Focus" and "Zoom" and "Initial Setting Up Procedures" together with lens cleaning info and so that I can accurately adjust the size of projected image to suit my room when I move it to it's new location. Is there anywhere I could download some info from? (I have emailed Owl and Sim2 but I am waiting to hear from them.

For information I have been using a basic projection screen on a tripod, which gives hit and miss results as obviously when I deploy it, I need to ensure that it is placed in the correct position very precisely. I now want to invest in a decent permanently fitted projection screen, which can be remote controlled. This would mean that the image would be a little further away from the projector than at present and I would like to make the picture a wee bit smaller than the 8ftx8ft (4:3) size at present. I further understand that there is a modification to this prj to allow it to switch to 16:9 widescreen mode.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation of your help

Paul

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Paul,
    The lenses are sealed against the front of the tubes to reduce dust build up. If you need to remove them they're held on with 4 Philips screws and you'll need a long reach No.2 Philips screw driver for the job. Halfords sell them.

Moving your screen further away you'll also have to adjust the angle of the Red and Blue lenses. Each is held in place by two Philips head screws that you should be able to see and by two bolts hidden further inside the projector. To loosen these bolts you'll need either a "0A Hexdriver" or a socket set with a long reach adapter.

Reset the R & B convergence pots to their centre positions before adjusting the lens angle. This will help avoid any false readings.

Focus is done by adjusting the lenses.

There are two wing nuts, one at the centre of the lens and one near the front. Undo the centre one and, using it as a lever, slide it left or right to adjust the focus whilst looking for the image to become sharpest at the centre of your screen. Tighten the wing nut. The front screw doesn't move. You adjust the front part of the lens barrel. This affects just the sharpness of the corners of the image. Make adjustment so that all four corners are equally sharp.

Set the picture size and shape using the Green convergence controls and by following the manual. Then converge Red followed by Blue so that you have a White test grid.

I don't recall ever seeing a 16:9 mode on the 150. For that to work you would need a seperate convergence bank. The 150 only has one.

Regards

3. rozel

rozel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you so much for your reply Chris, your advice will prove most helpful. I am sorry for the delay in replying, but I have been away and just returned to see your response to my post. Since I wrote this I have been in touch with Owl Systems, who have supplied me with a copy of the service manual for my prj. As I said this is rather old. When it was sold to me in 1996, it had had new tubes installed, since when it has had a new digi-panel (whatever that means lol - except that I was told it was the heart of the machine) and has had very little use. This lack of use I have put down to the fact that I don't have a decent screen and use of the prj necessitates putting up a tri-pod screen - not very good. However I wonder if you can expand a little more on this machine's capabilities.

First, when I contacted Owl back in 1997, they said that a widescreen module was available for the 950 chassis - which is installed in the 150 models, they were to investigate, but I never received a response. Can you throw any more light on this.

Second I would like to keep the Prj in it's present location if at all possible, but to fit a screen approximately 2 1/2 feet further back on a wall. How much control will the SVT 150 give me to reduce the overall picture size to compensate for the additional distance the image will be from the Prj? I realise that the front of the machine to the screen is 1 1/2 times the image width but I really do not want to move the Prj forward to compensate for the new position of the screen and if possible I would like to reduce the overall picture size. At present I have an 8ft x 8ft appx (4:3) image dimension. I assume that the position of the lenses inside the Prj will only alter their focus? Apart from the few dials on the back of the Prj relating to the Green tube, are their any other adjustments that will allow me to resize the image?

Any further help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Paul what you are trying to do could reduce the life of your projector considerably. The adjustments may allow you to reduce the size but it will still allow the same amount power to make the tube glow. The temptation will then be to turn up the brightness and this will almost certainly cause that part of the tube to wear quicker.
    If you need to move the screen I think you would be better to make the image bigger but as you are on 8ft already that my prove too much any how.
    What you really need is a Zoom lens which no body makes
    A CRT onto a Tripod screen sounds like a lot of hard work as you will never get it exactly in the same position each time.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Paul,
    2 1/2 ft extra distance is too much to expect. You may be able to get the projector to converge but it will knacker the tubes like Roland said.

I also think you are chasing vapourware with the w/s module. You would need digital convergence or at the very least two sets of convergence pots - one for 4:3 another for 16:9 - that's how the 350 does it. This was the projector that replaced the 150.

Although I hate to say it one of the budget LCD projectors might give you the set-up flexibilty you are looking for.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.